Monday, October 3, 2011

Calling All Toads

Open Link Monday




Good day to all members and followers of the imaginary garden with real toads.  We took our blog name from a line in the poem,  Poetry, by Marianne Moore, where she contends that poetry is all about the imagination, but it deals with the real and sometimes ugly truths of life.  Poets are the artistic mouth-pieces of their times, with some responsibility to tell it like it is.


Please link up a poem today which explores a social or humanist theme, or contains a message you feel is important enough to voice to the four winds.  Alternatively, share a poem rich in imagination and artistic expression.  As always, there is no restriction on when the poem was written - old poems or new are equally enjoyed.


We always like to read your comments, and encourage members to review and support the work of the poets who use this forum.





18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Far from a favourite but fitting to the theme and idea I think.

Susannah said...

An old one of mine. Quite simple, but I appreciate its message and it popped into my mind when I saw this linky, so I thought I'd share it. :-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a poem I wrote at the end of last year, when I felt the need to speak about the role of women in society. Many things have changed, but some perceptions seem cast in stone.

Laurie Kolp said...

Happy Monday, everyone!!

Titus said...

Incredibly personal, but I'm hoping there's a message in it for others. On women and appearance.

Titus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Philip Thrift said...

On what's been going on in NYC the past couple of weeks.

Marian said...

i think the NYC protests made this stick in my head until i let it out. there's more to say, maybe another longer poem, one day.

Kenia Cris said...

I've written nothing new, so I'm linking my latest poem, though most people must have seen it yesterday on Poets United! Anyway, great Monday everyone, I'll visit you people later today. <3

Anonymous said...

I like what you say about poets having some responsibility to tell it like it is...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Good morning, kidlets. Posted an old one, as am too freaking tired this morning to think:) I look forward to reading yours!

Susie Clevenger said...

This is an older poem, but so fits the theme of the day...thanks as always for your inspiration here.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Goodness, I am exhausted ... I shall look forward to reading everyone's poetry tomorrow and further on in the week.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hi Ruth, I tried to leave a comment after your poem, but couldn't figure out where it should go - just like to say I found your poem incredibly moving, with many layers of truth contained in the story.

Jinksy said...

Imagination I can do - artistic impression is something else again! LOL

Anonymous said...

A friend suggested this place and I am glad to discover it. Here's an old one. May it disturb you.

Mike Patrick said...

This is very different from anything I've ever written before. Perhaps a little frightening.

Anonymous said...

new ink. i struggled with the simplicity, and repetition... thoughts?