Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Memory Bowl


Sorry for the delay, between appointments, then Firefox kept shutting down on me.  It has been an interesting day. Today,  I discovered an idea  that I thought would make  an interesting poetry prompt. Suzan Stoddard is an Interior Designer and Organizer.   She was recently featured in "Where Women Create" magazine. I found Suzan's idea intriguing.  "When organizing I often discover small items that are disjointed".  She suggests taking a container, a bowl and place a variety of special finds to be discovered. Objects that might tell a story.  Gather up favorite small items, photos, etc. and arrange in a container, set in a location where they will be noticed. See what stories they conjure up.  I thought this might be fun to do for a poem. I just made a tiny memory bowl. You can make up your own bowl or use the photos I have listed. Whatever works for you; it will be fun to see what you come up with.  I would love to see photos of your memory bowls, if you care to share.  Think of all the possibilities~
This was made by artist Lauren Mumford~


5 comments:

Ella said...

I placed in my memory bowl, a Navy laundry pin, wooden spool of thread, skeleton key, tiny bouquet of dried lavender, tiny chair, origami crane, a photo, a laundry tag, and a shell.
I think if you do decide to make a bowl, pick items that attract your attention. Don't over think it...have fun!

Kay L. Davies said...

I have a surfeit of objects, so I only picked half a dozen. This is a very interesting idea, Ella. Thank you for thinking of it, and I hope to see how the others respond.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is such a wonderful fresh idea!

Jinksy said...

This per-supposes I have enough space for a nonchalant bowl to stand and look beautiful! Hehehe! I love the idea and wish I lived in an elegant house with a plethora of window sills, or occasional tables... :)

Ella said...

Hi Jinksy-I know what you mean, but select your favorites and gather them! It will make you happy~ I'm going to do another one, soon. I'm still trying to work one poem into 3 prompts...lol

Kerry-Thank you; I think it would inspire a lot of ideas, for poetry, art and writing~

Kay-I will be by; I am still working out so details on mine~
Thank you!