Saturday, August 6, 2016

Flash 55 PLUS!

Greetings to all poets and friends!
It is time for the Flash 55 Challenge in the month of August. The rules of this prompt have not changed: Write a piece of poetry or prose on a subject of your choice in precisely 55 WORDS.

View Across the Lagoon
James McNeill Whistler (1879 - 1880)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PLUS!

For the OPTIONAL EXTRA part of this challenge, I invite you to consider the word LACUNA.
According to The Free Dictionary.com, it means

1. An empty space or a missing part; a gap
2. A cavity, space, or depression, especially in a bone

Its origins lie in the Latin word, lacus, meaning lake - hence lacuna (pool or cavity) and the Italian, laguna (lagoon).
If you select this part of the challenge, explore the idea of a missing part or the more literal meaning of the definition.

Feel free to post more than one 55-word piece to this prompt, which will remain first on the Home Page until Tuesday morning. Please return to enjoy the poetry of fellow poets.



13 comments:

Outlawyer said...

Hey Kerry-- I have written a couple -- neither terribly compelling but will see. Thanks for the challenge and especially the beautiful whistler. hope all well. I did not follow end of election in SA-- hope okay. Should look it up. K.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Things went better than expected. Let's just say things are evening out, which is good for everyone.

hedgewitch said...

Thanks, Kerry--a very compelling plus. I am missing the G-man more than usual today, doing this, but glad we have this platform to keep his memory handy.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Always rebellious, I have twisted the meaning of lacuna a bit.

Jim said...

New word for me, Kerry. Thank you. Now that I've learned it, how soon will I forget it?
..

Anonymous said...

a magical word so thank you for this prompt!

Fireblossom said...

Mine spiraled well beyond 55 words, so I'll not link it, but it does have the theme of a (communication) gap.

Fireblossom said...

http://fireblossom-wordgarden.blogspot.com/2016/08/bukowski.html

Susie Clevenger said...

After writing my poem I guess it does fit in a way the them of empty spaces.

Unknown said...

I wrote prose and rather silly prose at that featuring two favorite Netherworld characters. I know that sort of thing may not be everyone's bag, Baby, so I won't link it so as to attempt to offend as few people as possible. Those who enjoy the ridiculous may appreciate it.
http://undeadinthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2016/08/obs-at-obs.html

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I did a second one – without the plus. I like the word restriction!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Sorry, Helena, your link didn't work for me. I would like to have looked at your prose piece.

Gillena Cox said...

posting late and using one post for two responses


much love...