Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Tuesday Platform


It's seldom that something sweeps me off my feet and makes me gasp in admiration. Greetings poets, wayfarers and friends I came across an incredible poem 'Triste, Triste' by French symbolist poet Jules Laforgue, which contemplates sadness in life.


Triste, Triste

Je contemple mon feu. J'étouffe un bâillement.
Le vent pleure. La pluie à ma vitre ruisselle.
Un piano voisin joue une ritournelle.
Comme la vie est triste et coule lentement.

Je songe à notre Terre, atome d'un moment,
Dans l'infini criblé d'étoiles éternelles,
Au peu qu'ont déchiffré nos débiles prunelles,
Au Tout qui nous est clos inexorablement.

Et notre sort! toujours la même comédie,
Des vices, des chagrins, le spleen, la maladie,
Puis nous allons fleurir les beaux pissenlits d'or.

L'Univers nous reprend, rien de nous ne subsiste,
Cependant qu'ici-bas tout continue encor.
Comme nous sommes seuls! Comme la vie est triste!


English Translation: (Sad, Sad)

I contemplate my fire. I stifle a yawn.
The wind weeps. The rain streams against my window.
Next door a piano plays a ritornello.
How sad is life and how slowly it flows.

I sing to our earth, atom of a moment,
In the infinite screen of eternal stars,
To the few that have deciphered our feeble eyes,
To all that is inexorably closed to us.

And our type! Always the same comedy,
Vices, griefs, melancholy, sickness,
And then we make lovely golden dandelions blossom.

The universe reclaims us, nothing of ours endures,
Nevertheless let everything down here continue again.
How alone we are! How sad is life!


Born in Uruguay, 1860 Jules Laforgue was a master of lyrical irony and one of the inventors of Free Verse. The impact of his work was felt by several Twentieth-century American poets, including T.S. Eliot. He also influenced the work of the Surrealists.

I also found an exquisite song by Indila which goes beautifully with the poem by Laforgue.


English Translation: Last Dance

Oh my sweet torment,
No point in fighting, you start again
I'm just a worthless being
Without him I'm a bit troubled
I wander around alone on the subway
A last dance
To forget my great misery
I want to get away, everything to start again,
Oh my sweet torment

I stir the sky, the day, the night
I dance with the wind, the rain
A bit of love, a drop of honey
And I dance, dance, dance, dance, dance, dance
And in the noise, I run and I'm afraid
Is this my turn?
Here comes the pain
In all of Paris, I abandon myself
And away I fly, fly, fly, fly
Nothing but hope
On this road in your absence
Try as I might, without you my life is nothing but a meaningless shiny decor
Read full lyrics here


If you have any thoughts to share, ideas you wish to release into the wild or a world view to express, then you have come to the right place. Please share a poem of your choice and enjoy the company of your fellow scribes. We look forward to reading you and hope you have a wonderful day ahead.

SHARE * READ * COMMENT * ENJOY

18 comments:

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Sanaa - you certainly put much time and effort in bringing poet and songster to our notice - thank you. Interesting to know the influencer of Eliot too with his avant garde of broken lines

Margaret said...

Thank you Sanaa - such sad poetry - I'd never heard of Laforgue.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Laura; Thank you so much 😊 I too was surprised by the Eliot influence. Happy Tuesday!💞☕

@Margaret; Thank you 😊 heading over to read you now!💞☕

Jim said...

Mrs. Jim has had a workout here but she still knows her French pretty good. I like his poems, if they were good for Eliot they were fine for me. Thank you, Sana.
..

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Jim; That's wonderful! Happy Tuesday to you and Mrs. Jim!💞☕

Timoteo said...

Greetings, Toads! Please join me on my meditation on TOADHOOD this morning!

Anmol (HA) said...

Oh, that is a wonderful verse and the song is beautiful too! Thanks for sharing these "new" artists with us and for hosting us today, Sanaa! :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Triste - a fitting theme for today. Pup - gone eight years ago today. I publish the same poem every year on this day in his honour. With tears, every time.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Tim, i am already entertained just reading the title!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Timoteo; I am right there meditating along with you!😊 Happy Tuesday!💞☕

@Anmol; Your poem is absolutely phenomenal!😊 Happy Tuesday and thank you so much for joining me!💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Sherry; I am so sorry for your loss 😥 my heartfelt condolences to you. *hugs*☕

Kim M. Russell said...

I love the Laforgue poem, Sanaa – thank you for introducing me to his work. Those little details, such as the rain on the window and the piano next door created a beautiful melancholy tone. I was interested to read that he influenced T.S. Eliot.

brudberg said...

Hello all, joining a little late today... I'm still shaken by a suicide at my workplace yesterday

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kim; Thank you so much 😊 so glad you liked it💞☕

@Bjorn; I am so sorry to hear that 😥 heading over to read you☕

Magaly Guerrero said...

I can't stop staring at the cake.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Magaly; It's strawberry thyme cake 😊 an image I found on Unsplash. Yum!!💞☕

KISLAYA GOPAL said...

Thanks, Sanaa for introducing Jules Laforgue and his French poetry!
Also, I have never heard the artist Indila before...enjoyed the melody... :)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kislaya; Thank you so much 😊 so glad you enjoyed it!💞☕