Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Tuesday Platform: The Frontier of Writing (Poems in April ~ Day 30)



From the Frontier of Writing

The tightness and the nilness round that space
when the car stops in the road, the troops inspect
its make and number and, as one bends his face

towards your window, you catch sight of more
on a hill beyond, eyeing with intent
down cradled guns that hold you under cover

and everything is pure interrogation
until a rifle motions and you move
with guarded unconcerned acceleration--

a little emptier, a little spent
as always by that quiver in the self,
subjugated, yes, and obedient.

So you drive on to the frontier of writing
where it happens again. The guns on tripods;
the sergeant with his on-off mike repeating

data about you, waiting for the squawk
of clearance; the marksman training down
out of the sun upon you like a hawk.

And suddenly you're through, arraigned yet freed,
as if you'd passed from behind a waterfall
on the black current of a tarmac road

past armor-plated vehicles, out between
the posted soldiers flowing and receding

like tree shadows into the polished windscreen.

© 1987 Seamus Heaney

Good day, poets! Here we are — the last day of the Poetry Month — it must be a big sigh of relief for some of us while others may be pondering over the products of this harvest. At this juncture, I think it would be beautiful to acknowledge all the creative labour that goes into writing as we celebrate the end of this month. So, let's have a round of applause for all of us, for all those who managed to see 30 days through, for all those who let the muse work it out for them because one absolute number (of days or of poems) doesn't really matter, for all those who read and supported their poet friends, and for all those who write in any way and anytime they want.

This is Anmol (alias HA) and I welcome you all to The Tuesday Platform at Imaginary Garden With Real Toads. This is an open-link arena which means that you can add a link to a poem, old or new, in the widget down below. While you do so, do not forget to visit others' posts and share your words/comments with them. Here is the optional challenge for the last day of the marathon:

Write a poem in praise of a source of inspiration — your muse, your life, your own web of thoughts, your dreams or sleeplessness, your daily tasks, a favourite artist or musician, nature and environment, et al. Also, let's keep it between 30-60 words — there is a certain beauty in brevity after all.

I look forward to reading your take. Happy Writing!

P.s. We go back to our regular schedule of prompts from tomorrow onward. You can check it out here.


19 comments:

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I'm rather sure most people won't like it, but you've been kind to me previously so I thought I'd show it to you. Thank You Jimi

Marian said...

We did it! What??

Marian said...

Oh and Anmol, thank you so much, I love that poem by Seamus Heaney. Whoosh!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes, wonderful Heaney poem.I must read more of him!

Thanks and au revoir to everybody who's been on this journey with me, this April. I've very much enjoyed your poems.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Avery BIG thank you to you, Anmol, for hosting the final prompt for April, and to all contributors and poets for making this such a special month in the garden. I know we will all appreciate a short break from writing, but the time spent in creativity has been very worthwhile.

Margaret said...

Heaney's poem is so awesome - it proves you can write beautiful poetry about anything! I posted my poem from yesterday's prompt as I played and submitted late...

Susie Clevenger said...

Wonderful poem! Yeah! We made it to day 30!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Wonderful HA! Yay! We did it!!!Congratulations everyone, and thank you so much for all the encouragement and learning.

Fireblossom said...

Hearty congratulations to everyone who did or didn't write 30 in 30. You are all heroes in my estimation, for breaking out those keyboards and going for it.

I confess to feeling a little teary at my last day as a Toad--which I have no doubt everyone is purely sick of hearing about! It's time, though, and they tell me I'm bound to be big in Japan. Don't lock the gate though, friends. One day I'll come galumphing back and someone will say, "Who's that raggedy mutt comin' in? Land O' Goshen, it's Farblossum! Mother, get out the Suzie Q's!" Love you guys.

Anmol (HA) said...

So glad to see you all here! I have such a bittersweet feeling now that this month has come to an end. It's been a pleasure hosting and participating here at With Real Toads. Looking forward to reading everyone's linked verse. :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I will make the rounds a bit later, kids, as this morning we are making a presentation to Council about the need for a Tree Protection Bylaw. It is insane that Tofino doesnt have one! See you in a bit....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Shay, I am looking forward to the occasional Fireblossom Friday, for old times' sake!

Margaret said...

Two poems today - forgive me. :)

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

I am off to the Botanical Gardens for more inspiration. will be reading later in the day!

tonispencer said...

Thank you Anmol for hosting this last day. A HUGE congrats to all of you who cimpleted the 30 in 30 and for those if you who tried. ❤❤❤

rallentanda said...

Two poems from me today ...forgive me too :)

Jim said...

Just posted my 30th writing, all 30!!! Finished until next year!!!
Thank you Anmol, for this nice prompt. And thank all the Toads and Guest prompters who participated. I love you all!! 🐾😽💞 <3
..

robkistner said...

Great prompt...! My primary source of creative inspiration is my own imagination.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Yesterday was a bit crazy for me, so I'm a bit late. But I shall start delighting in everyone's words right now. Thank you so much for hosting, Anmol.