Thursday, November 28, 2019

Weekend Mini Challenge: The Uncertainty of the Poet


Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from Writing in North Norfolk.

I can't believe this is my last prompt as a Toad! I'm going to miss the Imaginary Garden and all who write in it. I'm so glad we have a while until we say goodbye - but we will undoubtedly see each other in the blogosphere.

At the last school where I was an English teacher, we had an annual festival, to which we invited writers, poets, rappers and artists to perform and host workshops. One year we included something for the adults: we invited the poet Wendy Cope for a reading. I had the pleasure of drinking coffee and chatting with her prior to the performance, as well as overseeing an interview by two students who worked with me on the school magazine.

I recently read one of her poems again and thought it was an excellent model for a weekend mini challenge. The poem is ‘The Uncertainty of the Poet’, which was written in response to a 1913 painting by Giorgio de Chirico.

Image result for the uncertainty of the poet by giorgio de chirico.
Image found on tate.org.uk
I would like you to read the poem via the link above, study the structure and word patterns, and then write a similar poem, choosing your own words to noodle around with, restricting yourself to those words and trying them out in different combinations in couplets. It’s a good idea to choose words that you like the sound of, but not all to do with the same thing. This is a challenge with which you can have a lot of fun!

Join in by clicking on Mister Linky and filling in your name and url – not forgetting to tick the small ‘data’ box. And please remember to read and comment on other toads’ poems.

18 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

A wonderful challenge, Kim. This has always been the magic of the Imaginary Garden.. the challenge to try new things.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Kim, this was a lot of fun.

And I second what Kerry said.

Kim M. Russell said...

Thank you Kerry and Magaly.

I can't believe I nearly missed my last prompt with the Toads. I'm still recovering from a horrible chest infection and a vomiting virus I picked up while staying with my daughter. The heating has also failed in my study, so I haven't been at my computer, and I struggle on my Kindle, which changes every word I type into it!

I feel quite disorientated at the moment, especially at the thought that there will be no more Imaginary Garden, which was one of the first sites to which I contributed, and I've made so many on-line friends here. I know that writers will continue to post and that new sites pop up from time to time, but this is a sad time.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Oh goodness, Kim! I hope things get better soon.

Marian said...

Kim, this prompt is so wonderful! It pulled verse from my stagnant brain almost immediately. Thank you!
I hope you are feeling better soon. I too have feelings of disorientation and sadness about our time in the Garden coming to an end, but all things change and new doors will open. Garden gates? Maybe LOL

Jim said...

This is a fun little exercise with the pen or keystroke. I did the latter sitting on the edge of the bed, way after midnight, when I couldn't sleep. Doing that and a rerun of ABC World News made me sleepy.
Thank you, Kim for this nice prompt. I have gotten to like the Garden. I was in shock when One Single Impression died. But good things don't last forever.
..

tonispencer said...

An interesting challenge Kim!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is a very interesting challenge. Kim, I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you need a small space heater for your study. Smiles. Toads has been one of the best poetry sites online, in my opinion. The calibre of the prompts - AND the writing - has been consistently exceptional thanks to Kerry's vision and the talent of the poets who have written here. Sigh. Marian, I like the thought that garden gates may open......hold that thought!

Magaly Guerrero said...

Marian, I can't find your comment box. Is your blog closed for comments?

Is anyone else having this issue? Or, is my browser drunk?

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I was going to ask Marian the same thing, Magaly. I did get to comment on facebook though.

Fireblossom said...

Cant...comment on,,,Marian's...*starts to smoke and come apart*...

RedCat said...

Thank you Kim for this challenge. Could have played around with it all weekend if I didn't have other plans as well. :-)

tonispencer said...

Can we not comment on your poem Marian!

Marian said...

Well, apparently I broke my blog!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I agree with Sherry that Toads has been one of the best poetry sites around, thanks to the calibre of the poets – and also the prompts. Oh, what am I going to do in April now??? Yes, there are others, but....

Many many thanks to you all for so enriching my life!

Meanwhile, hope to get time to try this intriguing prompt.

brudberg said...

Oh ... joining late as usual... but I will get around to read over the weekend.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks to all the kind comments regarding The Imaginary Garden. Yes, there is life beyond the garden gate, but never fear, Rosemary, I have a scheme for April...

Helen said...

Poetry Jam, Poetry Bus, Magpie Tales.... gone. I miss them and I will miss frolicking in the Garden