Thursday, May 31, 2012

rock hard!

Happy Friday, Toads! I received a request for a music prompt that might satisfy the Seventies Girls amongst us. Embracing that label for myself as well, I have been considering this request all month. After all, we have been inspired by Patti Smith! And Joan Armatrading! Nonetheless, I understood the spirit of this request and decided to pull out the big guns. I mean, the Serious Big Guns:

Today, we are taking what I hope will be significant inspiration from rock pioneer Suzi Quatro.

Suzi Quatro was the first female bass player to become a major rock star, at a time when rock music was almost entirely dominated by men. Suzi Quatro came before Joan Jett, before Lita Ford, before Tina Weymouth (of the Talking Heads), before them all. An American artist living in England, Suzi Quatro enjoyed success in Europe and Australia throughout the 1970's before her duet with Chris Norman, "Stumblin' In," topped the US charts.

Suzi Quatro was also known to American audiences as Leather Tuscadero on the sitcom Happy Days. Her song "Rock Hard," our prompt today, was featured in the cult film Times Square, featuring Tim Curry and Trini Alvadaro. (All of the above made a major impact on Your Faithful Editor. Just saying. --Ed.)




Suzi Quatro continues to release new music and tour to this day. Most recently, in fall 2011, she released a fantastic cover of Goldfrapp's "Strict Machine."

 


Let's Rock and Write Hard, Toads! 

13 comments:

rosemary mint said...

Oh man, I JUST finished my steampunk poem. Guess I'm too late since there's already a new prompt up!

http://rosemarymint.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/antique-time-machine/

rosemary mint said...

Wow, she is awesome!!! What a great prompt.

Marian said...

okay i've watched these videos many times now, and i can't believe they are 30+ years apart. seriously, not dated at all! holy hell. greatness! enjoy, my friends!

Hannah said...

MUCH enjoyed!! Thank you, Marian! I remember some of what you've shared and I had an excellent time of writing a poem from Suzie's POV! Thank you for the prompt and smiles to all the poetical peeping toads in the Friday pond!

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the prompt and Suzi's music. What an inspiration!I did the rhyme thing.."shudder" I am not talented with it, but hey I attempted it. :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oooo...cool! Suzie Q. There's a girl with sass.

Daydreamertoo said...

Fabulous challenge. Loved all of Suzi's music! :)

Lolamouse said...

Marian,
I've been waiting for this one! Great choice for a 70s icon! I totally agree that her music still rocks today. I'm finishing up my poem. Been listening to Suzi Q and watching old vids half the day!

Marian said...

so glad you like it! i spent the entire night last night watching her videos, so now i haven't even written a poem :) with any luck, i'll have one tonight!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Just saw that Suzi was born 3 June 1950.. couldn't be better timing, Marian.

Fireblossom said...

"Don't take me home bay-bee...cos your mama won't like me!" --SQ

Marian said...

yeah but i like her :)

so my offering is weird, i think. somehow i wrote about letting loose in a very tight form. what? i don't know.

Unknown said...

ocjj.com Orange County Jiu Jitsu & MMA offers a 100% FREE 30 Day Trial of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts, & Muay Thai for kids & adults in Lake Forest, CA. Click Here
jiu-jitsu classes in orange county for kids
kids jiu jitsu orange county
kids brazilian jiu jitsu orange county