Friday, November 14, 2014

Love of My Life

Speaking of icons... Of course, many artists and visionaries are born and die in any given month, but somehow at my house, November has come to be known as Freddie’s Month. Freddie Mercury passed away in November 1991, if you can even believe it. What a long time ago, and how young he was.



I am a great admirer of Freddie Mercury for many reasons. But lately, while watching concert footage like the one that's our focus today, I’ve been ruminating on how he related to his audience. There are other beautiful versions of "Love of My Life" to be found on the internet, but this one is my favorite because of his interaction with the massive crowd (at Wembley Stadium). He quite literally conducts the people, and it is wonderful to watch.

How do we relate to our audiences? How do the readers of our poetry impact how and what we struggle to write? How does that change, or intensify, when we read our poems out loud to other people? I wonder what it would be like to perform as a musician on a stage in front of hundred of thousands. Or even dozens! I’m interested in how you all think about your stage, and how and why you have put yourself on one. Did you know that Freddie Mercury was actually quite reserved, unlike his on-stage persona? He talks in interviews about how he loved to perform for people.



Be moved--allow yourself to be conducted, even--and please bring us your new poems inspired by Freddie Mercury, Queen, performing for a crowd, audience participation, life-long love, friends forever, dying well before one’s time, living well, extroversion vs. introversion, or whatever comes to mind when witnessing this performance, hearing these words, thinking about Freddie.

13 comments:

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I love Freddie Mercury. I'll have to try and cook up a little tribute for him. I actually dreamed about him shortly after his death.
Poetry of the Netherworld has recently become (as one rude commenter said) the Malcolm Young blog, as the members of Team Netherworld are crushed to hear about the fast-moving, early onset dementia that destroyed this kind and talented man's mind and life. Maybe we can further irritate said rude commenter by throwing some Freddie Mercury in the mix too.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ooooh! I like this prompt very much - I have always been a fan of Freddie Mercury. He has such an interesting life story, and was a true artist.

I will be away tomorrow, fetching my daughters, and I am also in the very middle of the school final exam cycle, but do hope to be able to write *something* for these iconic prompts, even if it is for Open Link Monday. Thank you, Marian.

Susan said...

WOW!

Marian said...

yes, wow indeed! love, love, love.

brudberg said...

I love this.. the paradox of shyness and how you become another person on stage is something that speak a lot to me.. great inspiration.. some of the best music made involve Freddie Mercury.. and I'm willing to forgive him for some of the worst too... :-)

Hannah said...

Well, everyone that decides to read me might groan with the length of what became of this challenge, for me...soooo apologies to anyone with short-attention spans...I know that I am one of them so I won't take offense if you give up on mine. :)

Thank you, Marian for bringing us this artist and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't view the video, so I used the prompt questions given earlier in the passage ... those about relating to an audience. Feel free to delete my link if it doesn't fit the prompt.

My wordpress identity is peach blossom moth.

Marian said...

wonderful, peach blossom moth! thanks for playing along. though you really must go find yourself some Queen videos to watch. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Marian==I'm not such a big fan of Freddie Mercury--I only really know a few more popular artists--but I thought about the love of my life idea and light and dark, and wrote this one posted tonight. I am still vaguely trying to work on a novel, but I've been super busy with work and family and not able to do much at all! Agh! Good to have the work and family though! Thanks! k.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love Queen and Freddie Mercury. Thanks Marian for the prompt.

Margaret said...

This is an awesome chlenge and I wil be posting late to it. In-laws are visiting for a few days. Freddy was an awesome talent - and Queen one if my favorite bands!

humbird said...

Thanks, Marian! Very inspiring videos! Great prompt!

Marian said...

i wrote another :)