Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Tuesday Platform

Welcome to The Tuesday Platform!




Thought Toads might enjoy these short remarks by poet Nikki Giovanni today. She advises, quite simply:

Whatever you are writing
should be true to you.

So on our free-style day, unscripted, unprompted... please share something true to you with us today.


11 comments:

brudberg said...

A little ditty today... it's Ok to giggle, seems to fit for reading to Children :-)

Fireblossom said...

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Gillena Cox said...

enjoyed the video very much; happy Tuesday all

much love...

hedgewitch said...

I have linked in an older poem, and will try to visit after the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Corey asked me to do a reading of my last sonnet (written for his prompt last week)and i managed to catch up on a few other poems I've written lately, for those in the mood for spoken word.

Thanks Marian.

colleen said...

Nikki teaches nearby at VA Tech. I audited some of her classes in the '90s and have met her on several occasions. Here is one of those times: http://www.looseleafnotes.com/2014/05/she-may-have-been-late-but-she-had-great-shoes/ She recently read in my town for our art center.

Marian said...

Ooooh, awesome, Colleen! I was lucky enough to attend a reading by Nikki at Chicago Public Library a number of years back. So great!

Susie Clevenger said...

I'm going political with mine. :)

Jim said...

Thank you, Marian. For hosting today.
AND for letting Nikki tell her story.
I do like to write poems that are in story format, I am glad Nikki thinks this is good too. Mood? I like her advice on that also.
Of course mine aren't her caliber, but ... (someday??).
..

Gillena Cox said...

Colleen i went with your link; some nice memories there

much love...

Munir said...

Great advise.
Happy Thanksgiving