Thursday, November 26, 2015

Fireblossom Friday: Dread




Hello, dear pond dwellers and amphibious visitors. Fireblossom here with another Fireblossom Friday.

In the United States, where I happen to live, it is Thanksgiving. In the poetry blogosphere, where I also happen to live, that means a whole raft of prompts about gratitude. I dread them.

Webster's defines "dread" as a verb meaning "to anticipate with fear or distaste" and as a noun meaning "intense fear" or "fear mixed with awe". It also defines "dread" as an adjective meaning "inspiring dread." 

What makes you deeply uneasy? What haunts your nightmares? Do you dread something unseen but sensed, hiding in the shadows of your bedroom, your future, or your mind? Do you dread some calamity? Do you dread having to hear another of Aunt Gabby's endless stories? Do you dread clowns, monsters, disasters or Liberty Mutual insurance commercials?

Come in. Sit here. Would you like some coffee? Tea, perhaps? (It probably hasn't been tampered with, but who knows?) Tell kindly old Auntie Fireblossom what's bothering you. What are you afraid of? Oh dear. How dreadful! 


For this challenge, please write a poem with the theme of DREAD. Let your mouth go dry, your heart skip a beat. I doubt that anything is really standing behind you as you pick up your pen or poise your trembling fingers over your keyboard. 


While you still can, please link up, and then go visit others, if--as we all naturally hope--nothing awful has befallen them. And remember....have fun.

 

12 comments:

hedgewitch said...

Couldn't miss a Fireblossom Friday, and I suppose it would be wrong to say how thankful I am for this NON-seasonal topic? Yes, well, moving on...I still have little personal time at my disposal, so look for me after the holiday dear toads.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

LOL. I LOVE this prompt. I have a busy day, but will come back later, to ponder the possibilities....so much to choose from!

brudberg said...

So much to dread.. and a perfect excuse for not writing anything sappy on a night like this.

brudberg said...

Excuse me but ignore the first link... not the right poem.. (but by coincidence on the same subject)

grapeling said...

I am *so* running and hiding after this. Thanks, Shay, for catching me with this. ~

Fireblossom said...

Thank you to all the early birds who linked up yesterday, and I will be around to visit you Friday Fish this evening! Thanks for not dreading my challenge!

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh, I needed to face some dread. Doing some confessing with this one.

Carol Campbell said...

Now this is challenging. Will get to it as soon as possible!! Thank you!

Toni said...

I have a pretty intense case of PTSD, so it would be easy to say I don't actually dread stuff unless it would be triggers; those concrete walls that just jump out at unexpected times of the year.

I've done the therapy, so in the paralyzing moment of slamming into the wall, I recognize it as a trigger and can shake it off and move on, usually. Still have a little more work to do but I'm getting good at walking through concrete walls!

Gillena Cox said...

a serious and interesting prompt, but i had to make it a fun write; its what i do best


much love...

Carol Campbell said...

Done! Worked on this one for awhile but finally tapped into what I dread very much. In fact I avoid it as much as I can. :)

Anonymous said...

A little late but it's a blockbuster!
http://melindakucsera.com/2015/12/03/decide-dread-fury-or-the-guilt-that-haunts/