Saturday, June 10, 2017

“I Am Made of…” (Poetry and Flash Fiction with Magaly)

Greetings, dear Toads.

I hope you and your muse are having a glorious day. Today’s prompt was born out of a nursery rhyme (see below), which can be found in Terry Pratchett’s Wintersmith.

The last three lines of the piece, not included in the image, say that one also needs the following to make a human:
“Strength enough to build a home,
Time enough to hold a child,
Love enough to break a heart.”

Every time I reread this book, I ask myself the same question: what else are humans made of? For today’s prompt, I invite you to ask yourself, what am I made of? Then craft your answer into a 3-stanza poem or a very short story (of 131 words or fewer). 

Feed the link to your new poem or story to Mr. Linky.
Visit other Toads, and see all the wonders they are made of…
…and, as always, let them know what you think of it.

17 comments:

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'm extremely excited to read what you are made of. ;-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

I always love a reminder of Terry Pratchett's words and craft.

Blogoratti said...

Interesting prompt and thanks for sharing. Greetings!

Magaly Guerrero said...

You and me both, Kerry.

@BLogoratti, you're very welcome... and welcomed to join in, too. ;-)

Jim said...

I'll like writing this!! Good pick, Magaly!!! Our second grader came home from school with a bunch of papers I've never seen before. I hope her dad didn't throw them away, we would keep them rather than have that happen. I'll ask our daughter about them. I did take pictures. One was a Haiku poem, another was a writing assignment similar to the assignment here.
My comment on Ms. Pratchett's "Wintersmith" is that she sure is hard on the animals, seems all three come to an unnatural end, killed.
..

Magaly Guerrero said...

Jim, I'm not sure if the original nursery rhyme was created by Sir Terry Pratchett, since I have a feeling that I heard it before reading it in Wintersmith. You are right, other living things don't seem to end well around the making of human beings, I wonder if the one who created the rhyme thought about that--we, humans, tend to destroy a lot of things in order to be.

brudberg said...

Fabulous prompt, but tomorrow we have a book-release for a jointly written book called Dead Ends....

If anyone is interested in the book there will be updates on this facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/KeyholeStories.KS/

Gillena Cox said...

Luv this prompt. I'm done, can you believe it? It one of those easy fun writes

Happy Saturday everyone

much love...

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Bjorn, best of luck with the publication!

@Gillena, I really enjoyed your contribution.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Terry Pratchett always tickles my muse. Thank you for the wonderful prompt, Magaly❤️ just posted my offering.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, all.

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Sanaa, our beloved Knight Writer has that effect on most of us, methinks. :-)

@Martin, right back at you.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great challenge Magaly!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Didn't think I'd find time to do this one, but it proved irresistible.

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Susie, I loved your response.

@Rosemary, the muse won't be denied. :-D

Margaret said...

WAY late in playing - Will also Post for Tuesday's Platform most likely.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Poetry is never late, Margaret. The poem is just making a grand entry. :-)