Saturday, June 17, 2017

Micro Poetry ~ Dark Emeralds

Greetings to all!
Today is the day we put the "mini' back into the Sunday Mini-Challenge, and return to the option of form poetry. The object of this challenge is to write a poem in no more than 10 lines (but you may write in fewer than 10 lines all the way down to a single American sentence). Choose your own form or write in free verse, if preferred.

Emerald Cave
Morakot, Thailand

The Jewel


There is this cave 
In the air behind my body 
That nobody is going to touch: 
A cloister, a silence 
Closing around a blossom of fire. 
When I stand upright in the wind, 
My bones turn to dark emeralds. 

James Wright



This weekend, our frame of reference is "Dark Emeralds" - from the final line of this poem by James Wright.
I look forward to reading a number of short poems, from Saturday through to Monday. The link does not expire, so please feel free to write more than one poem, and a return to comment on poems linked later would be appreciated.


13 comments:

said...

Now THAT is a poem! Bam. What? So impressive.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The image reminds me of a cave in the Dominican Republic... I shall spend the rest of the day thinking of home. :-)

brudberg said...

Love that image... metaphors are hard to do, but this one works so well

Gillena Cox said...

Enchanting image Kerry.
Have a good weekend all

much love...

Brendan said...

Magnificent challenge, Kerry. And what a fine baptism, that poem by James Wright. I came out with three dark gleamings in my hands. Blame Wright for turning on a flood with a humble spigot. He's so good at that!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kerry❤️ sharing my bit. Happy weekend, everyone!❤️

Anonymous said...

Where is everyone?

grapeling said...

well, Kerry, I hope you don't overmuch mind that I went in a completely different direction... ~

Anonymous said...

just 10 lines and a jewel - who could resist this theme?

Kerry O'Connor said...

I am glad the prompt and James Wright resonated.. or of course.. any direction you choose.
;-)

I feel so bad not to be writing but my brain is like a bowl of porridge - I stir but.. nothing.

I am hoping for a reawakening soon.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Dear Kerry, the field needs to be left fallow a while, in preparation for new seeds.

Thanks for the lovely prompt, which aroused old memories.

WildChild47 said...

Fascinating image and very interesting micro poem. Has great resonance and sound in images and metaphors - many ways to read and consider, and then spring board off into some micro poetry. Great prompt - thanks :)

sarah said...

Dark prompt. It's nice to do something short. I've linked up to the linky thing.