Saturday, September 23, 2017

Weekend Mini Challenge: Boats

Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from writinginnorthnorfolk.com!

When I was a child, the only boats I knew were the pedal boats in the local park and those in songs, like ‘The Skye Boat Song’:

The Skye Boat Song

Chorus:

Speed bonnie boat like a bird on the wing,
Onward, the sailors cry.
Carry the lad that's born to be king
Over the sea to Skye.

Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunderclaps rend the air,
Baffled our foes stand by the shore,
Follow they will not dare.

[Chorus:]

Though the waves leap, soft shall ye sleep,
Ocean's a royal bed.
Rock'd in the deep Flora will keep
Watch o'er your weary head.

[Chorus:]

Burned are our homes, exile and death,
Scattered the loyal man.
Yet ere the sword, cool in the sheath,
Charlie will come again.

[Chorus:]

This song is about Bonnie Prince Charlie’s escape, when Flora Macdonald took him, disguised as a serving maid, from Uist to Skye in a small boat.



Even on our annual days out at the seaside, I had never seen or been on a boat. That is until I went on a school trip to the Isle of Wight and we had a tour of the HMS Victory before getting on the ferry. 

The first time on a boat I felt seasick but later, when I was a teenager and moved to Germany, I took many ferries and started to enjoy all kinds of boat trips. When I moved back to England and moved to Twickenham by the River Thames, I used to take a small rowing boat ferry across to Ham. I now live on the Norfolk Broads, where I see boats every day. When my husband and I travel abroad, we tend to favour river tours of cities.

I love boats, which is why this weekend I’d like you to write about a boat. It could be a boat you’ve owned; one on which you’ve taken a trip; a famous boat; a dream boat – it’s up to you, as long as your poem is a new one and it has a boat in it.

Happy sailing!

12 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I enjoyed reading about your fascination with boats, Kim. I anticipate many excellent responses to your prompt.

Kim M. Russell said...

Hi Kerry and I hope you're having a great weekend. I'm looking forward to some interesting responses too. When I went down to the moorings to take a few photos I discovered a purple barge that I've never seen before. I'm saving that picture for another poem!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool prompt, Kim! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Interesting prompt.Cogs are beginning to turn.

Outlawyer said...

I really enjoyed the prompt, Kim. I will try to come up with something, but may be a little late. Thanks! The song was especially lovely. k.

Kim M. Russell said...

Hi guys! I'm anticipating great poems :)

brudberg said...

I have always loved boats especially those you can row or sail... currently I have two kayaks... which is the perfect size boat for me... Now I will try to come up with something.

Carrie Van Horn said...

This subject was right up my alley this week. Hope everyone has a great weekend! Very glad to have made it here this week.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kim and everybody for the wonderful reads

Anonymous said...

absolutely delightful... look forward to participating.... boats a great place to start

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh sorry, was trying to erase previous link but it jumped to post instead.

I love boats too! And don't get to spend time on them often enough these days.

lynn__ said...

Beautiful music video! Living in the mid-west, boats are not a daily experience for me but I have taken an excursion on a Mississippi paddlewheel boat...and we have canoes for the rivers nearby :)