Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The Tuesday Platform

Fair Use

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why

What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten, and what arms have lain
Under my head till morning; but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply,
And in my heart there stirs a quiet pain
For unremembered lads that not again
Will turn to me at midnight with a cry.
Thus in winter stands the lonely tree,
Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one,
Yet knows its boughs more silent than before:
I cannot say what loves have come and gone,
I only know that summer sang in me
A little while, that in me sings no more

~ Edna St. Vincent Millay

Welcome to the Tuesday Platform, the weekly open stage for sharing poems in the Imaginary Garden. Please link up a poem, old or new, and spend some time this week visiting the offerings of our fellow writers.

SHARE * READ * COMMENT * ENJOY

17 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Happy Tuesday everyone!💞☕

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

How I love Edna St Vincent Millay! And that one a particular favourite.

I'll share with you a very different kind of poem on the death of passion.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Rosemary; I am so pleased you liked it!💞 Heading over to read you☕

Jim said...

I like your find, Sanaa. Listen to your heart but if you can't hear it try taste and smell as well.
..

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you, Jim 💞☕

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for hosting, Sanaa (and for following me on Instagram). I am sharing an old poem in a new format.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

You're most welcome, Kerry 💞 heading over to read you. Happy Tuesday!☕

Magaly Guerrero said...

I love this poem, Sanaa, especially the 4th and 5th lines because they make me want to reread "The Raven". Thank you for hosting and for nudging me in the direction of Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Happiest Tuesday, everyone!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you so much, Magaly💞 I knew you would love it. Happiest Tuesday to you too!☕

Carrie Van Horn said...

Glad to have made it here this week. Thank you Sanaa for hosting. You are wonderful!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Awww thank you Carrie!💞 You're pretty awesome yourself☕ Happy Tuesday 😊

Kim M. Russell said...

Happy Tuesday, everyone, and thank you Sanaa for not only being a wonderful host but also for sharing the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem which is romantic and very you!

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Your are such a romantic Sanaa - playing catchup with a Monday quadrille today and reminiscing with the sixties (the era not my age group!)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Awww thank you so much, Kim!💞☕

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you Laura 💞 heading over to read you☕

Frank J. Tassone said...

Oh, how late I am, fellow Garden Dwellers! But better late than never, right? Thanks, Sanaa! :)

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you for joining in, Frank!💞 Heading over to read you☕