Saturday, May 25, 2019

Weekend Mini Challenge: Portraiture


Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from Writing in North Norfolk.

Image result for free images portrait of seamus heaney
Image found on Pinterest
As some of you may know, I am a fan of Seamus Heaney’s poetry. One of the things I love about it is the way he paints portraits with words. I have three examples to share, for which I have provided links. 

The first is ‘Ancestral Photograph’, which is not only about a sepia photograph of the poet’s great uncle, who doesn’t seem to have been an attractive man, but also reflects on traits of the poet’s father:

The second is ‘Docker’, a description of a stranger in a pub, in which Heaney speculates about his life:

The final poem is ‘Twice Shy, about a relationship, which starts with a brief but lovely description of a girlfriend:

Write a new poem, or revise an old one, which paints a portrait. It can be of someone you know or have known, a relative or a lover, or it can be a stranger. You could go to a park, café or bar, or even sit on some form of public transport, and observe someone interesting or unusual to portray in a poem, in which you should also speculate a little about their life, their beliefs and relationships, as Heaney does in ‘Docker’.

Join in by clicking on Mister Linky and filling in your name and url – not forgetting to tick the small ‘data’ box. And please remember to read and comment on other toads’ poems.

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I am a great fan of Seamus Heaney's poetry. Thanks for this prompt, Kim.

Kim M. Russell said...

Sorry I'm a bit late to my own prompt, but it's been a difficult week and I'm not feeling my best today. I'm looking forward to immersing myself in poetry to take my mind off it.
Thank you for linking up!

brudberg said...

The thought of the docker reminded me of when I worked as a docker myself in the shipyard one summer... not sure I will go down that road...

Magaly Guerrero said...

@Kim, I hope you feel better!

brudberg said...

I looked for my grandfathers... but now it's late and bed is calling. I will get back tomorrow to read.

robkistner said...

This is a grief portraiture of a dear friend I knew since 1961. We played sports together, went on a cross country motorcycle trip together, went to college together, and were the best man at each other’s wedding. He passed away in October of last year. I have been trying to finish this since then. I have used the nudge from this prompt to finally do so. Thanks fir the nudge Kim!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kim! ❤️ I’ll be back in the morning to read and comment 😊 Happy Weekend, everyone ❤️

Marian said...

Kim, I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for this prompt. I wrote about a person who's been on my mind.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Kim, thank you for a wonderful prompt. I hope you are feeling a bit better. Sharing one today.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool prompt, Kim.thanks.

Margaret said...

Oh - I LOVE him too. Had a busy weekend with family and I WILL be writing to this late. I will read all of these and also link up to Tuesday Platform with this challenge as well. Thank you! I WILL be back...

Margaret said...

"He sits, strong and blunt as a Celtic cross,... just a gorgeous line! Love Seamus Heaney

Cressida de Nova said...

I enjoyed the Seamus Heaney poems. Thank you for an interesting prompt.