Thursday, August 22, 2019

A Guest Appearance from Kenia Santos

For today’s challenge, I present you with post-rock!


Find Kenia on Instagram
@kenia.cs


Explosions in the sky. First Breath After Coma - It was the first band, the first post-rock song I heard, I don’t remember when or how it came to be. I remember I found it a great name for a band and I fell madly in love with the genre after that one song.

The first person to help shape the concept of Post-Rock was probably Simon Reynolds in 1994, when he used the term to characterize the album ‘Hex’ of the British band ‘Bark Psychosis’ writing for Mojo Magazine. Reynolds used it then used to describe a style of music that uses typical Rock instruments for non-rock purposes, a definition that approaches best what came next for the genre. 

Throughout the 20 years of ongoing development of post-rock, influences of all possible music genres, such as Jazz, Ambient, Progressive Rock, Krautrock, Post-Punk and temporary classical music can be found. Post-Rock soundscapes are created with the help of dynamics and tone modulation and the use of repetitive musical themes.

For today’s challenge, choose a song from the list below and use it as inspiration to write an untitled poem. You are expected to incorporate the song title in the body of your poem, though. You don’t need to listen to songs, but I highly recommend you to do so! (The link to the Youtube version is in the number - or access the Spotify Playlist provided below.)


1 Waiting and waltzing in airport terminals - Industries of the Blind
2 We age onward - Circadian Eyes
3 Unmake the wild light - 65daysofstatic
4 Waiting for the world to turn back - Tides from Nebula
5 If I had known it was the last - Codes in the Clouds
6 By moving the stars I have found where you are hiding - sleepmakeswaves
7 I just wanted to make you something beautiful - Industries of the blind 
8 Remember me as a time of the day - Explosions in the Sky
9 Jura - pg.lost
10 First breath after coma - Explosions in the Sky
11 The heart that fed - Caspian
12 When there were no connections - Tides from Nebula
13 Hymn for the greatest generation - Caspian
14 Law of unintended consequences - My Dad vs. Yours
15 The walk of thunder - Those Who Ride with Giants
16 What you love you must love now - The Six Parts Seven
17 They move on tracks of never-ending light - This Will Destroy You
18 Your hand in Mine - Explosions in the Sky
19 Dream is destiny - No Clear Mind
20 Every direction is North - El Ten Eleven


10 comments:

Kenia Santos said...

I am SO looking forward to reading what the toads are going to write from these! Happy Thursday everyone! And thanks again for the invitation, Kerry. ❤

Kerry O'Connor said...

Great to have you join us in the garden again, Kenia!

Kenia Santos said...

I will post my poem later today. Old Egg and I have chosen the same song. 😊

Helen said...

So nice to see Kenia this morning!

Kim M. Russell said...

Such a pleasant surprise to see the music that plays most in our house at the moment, especially Tides from Nebula, who we've seen in their native Poland and in Holland, and Caspian - my husband knows Phil and he has seen them all over the world (he recently went to their gig in Cologne), while I've only been to see them in the UK and Holland. I even wrote a couple of poems inspired by their Brighton gig in 2015 I'm looking forward to the poems this evening.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Thank you for the song list- very interesting pieces! I had not heard any of these before.

brudberg said...

I have added the playlist to my Spotify and try to write something tomorrow..

Susie Clevenger said...

What a wonderful Challenge... I struggled at first but poetry arrived.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What a totally cool prompt. Thanks, Kenia!

Fireblossom said...

I hope I am not too late to play, Kenia!