Thursday, November 3, 2016

What Fresh Hell is This? - November Word List



This month's list is dedicated to the risky proposition currently called 'Democracy'. 

Even for our out-of-nation Toads and visitors - what happens in the US November 8th will for good or ill directly impact the rest of the world.



The challenge: describe your view on this year's US election - how it affects you, how it angers or delights you, how you will be moving to a small island that likely will be consumed by global warming soon, but hey, better blue than orange.

Part (A): you may NOT use pejoratives, curse words, obviously denigrating terms, etc.

Part (B): Instead, take the approach of Dorothy Parker:
"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
or Oscar Wilde:
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
Part (C): take at least 3 of the following list of words and weave them into a new poem for the challenge, observing parts A and B above:

novel, toss, lightly, force, money, God, look, forgive, enemy, annoy, happy, cause, go.

As a reminder, please post the poem to your own blog, link that specific post in Mr. Linky below, and please revisit over the next few days so you can read your fellow contributor's efforts.

More on Dorothy Parker here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_Round_Table




And Oscar Wilde:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde




and your musical interlude: Óveður from Sigur Rós:




13 comments:

Margaret said...

Thanks! Looking forward to all the poems written -

Kerry O'Connor said...

Politics has become a dirty word the world over... Hard to say may the best man/woman win.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Michael, such a brave and meaty prompt. A topic that distresses me greatly at the moment and, after the election, things do not bode well, no matter what, no matter who. Too much has been unleashed.

Maude Lynn said...

M, I wrote a poem for you. I'm afraid it's a bit much though, so I'm not linking it. Feel free to come by and check it out if you like.

Fireblossom said...

Awesome! Btw, I hope you enjoy our books, and thanks so much for being interested in our work! :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I wrote but am not sure I dare post. As Mama Zen says, given the situation, it is a bit much and I hate to add more flame to the fire. But. Will think on it. Sigh.

Angie said...

politics. not my cup of tea...so i made it an entree. Thanks M

brudberg said...

I normally love to write about politics... but these days it's causing such chasms... I might find a way to do it... what mostly concerns me is the post-truth scenario.. where US is only one part of a global movement... there us Russia, Turkey, Poland, France,... all over the world truth is crumbling.

Marian said...

I wrote, yippee!

hedgewitch said...

This is actually the topic that took me out of blogging, M, but I really feel better for having spewed up all the sick for your prompt. Thanks.

brudberg said...

I did indeed write...

Marian said...

Same for me, Hedgewitch... been uncharacteristically silent these months. Silent/silenced?

Gillena Cox said...

SMILES - that's all I'm going to say

much love...