Thursday, January 18, 2018

Wordy Thursday with Wild Woman ~ The Tree Sisters




There is a women's movement rising all over the world. Guided by Clare Dubois and her Board of Directors, in the U.K., Tree Sisters: Seeding for Change,   aim to plant a billion trees world-wide this year, and they are well on their way.




58% of the world's animals are gone. We are seeing climate change impacting people, animals and landscapes world-wide. Joanna Macy  tells us, "Do not numb your grief. Feel it, and know you are alive. We are here to save the soul of the earth.  We are meant to be a restorer, not a destroyer, species. We women will love the world back into healing. Our earth is alive and she is powerful." Given some assistance, she can heal.

I believe in the rise of woman-power, in response to where the male-driven model has gotten us. Women nurture life. We get down to the basics of planting trees and food, feeding children, and keeping those children safe. If money that funds the military-industrial complex were used in the cause of social justice, to meet peoples' basic needs, we'd have a good toe-hold on peace. 

Let's plant some poetic trees: love in response to hate, compassion in response to suffering, hope in response to desolation. Tell us how you feel about trees, or perhaps one special tree you love. Or write about Mother Nature, and the effects of climate change. But let's do it with hope, with determination, with the spirit of the women all over the world who are planting those billion trees, who are loving our world back into healing.

Mahatma Gandhi said, "You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing, there will be no result."

Use any form you wish, with as many or few words as you choose. I look forward to reading what you come up with.






23 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Happy Thursday, kids! Well, it is hopeful old me, trying to swim against the tide again. LOL. I am looking forward to reading your poems. Each a seed of hope in the soil of hearts thirsty for some nourishment.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks, Sherry.
I am in favour of trees, recently pleaded with a neighbour not to cut one down.. but I lost the battle.

:-(

Vivian Zems said...

Hi Sherry- a great prompt. Mine is potpourri of climate change, season change and the bravery of women. I look forward to seeing the others.😊

Gillena Cox said...

Really luv today's beautiful prompt. I haven't planted a tree lately, but i have always loved trees hope that still includes me as a tree sister

thank youSherry

much love

Fireblossom said...

You want me to be positive and uplifting? *writhes*

brudberg said...

Our garden is a piece of woodland, so it's clear where I stand. Will sleep on this and think and hope that men can change in this as well

Margaret said...

I just returned from my Father's funeral - It's been quite the past few months and I hope to be back here for good - I've missed the writing and the camaraderie.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Margaret - I am so sorry you lost your father. Hard days, Margaret. Rest and heal. We're thinking of you.

Shay - we can give you a special dispensation, lol. Go for it! Just make sure no trees are harmed during the writing.

Bjorn - many men are rising to the issues of the day. I loved Cory Booker's emotional response to some of trump's latest verbiage - he was on the verge of tears in his impassioned response.

Am looking forward to some good reading. Thanks, friends.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Kerry, the new manager of our apartment building is threatening to cut down the beautiful wall of green outside my window that stretches the length of the building. We are distressed and trying to cajole him into just limbing some branches. He also wont let me feed the birds any more. Sigh.

tonispencer said...

Thank you for this prompt Sherry. I am sorry to hear about the new manager of your apartment building. Maybe if all the residents protested?

Carrie Van Horn said...

I love this one Sherry....thank you!

Namratha said...

Wow! Thank you for the prompt Sherry as well as introducing us to this movement so full of promise and hope and strength.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Toni, half a dozen of us are going to approach him gently hoping he might be persuaded to just cut limbs......i doubt it will work....but maybe.

Carrie, so nice to see you.

I am so enjoying all of your poems. Thank you, fellow poets.

Jim said...

Sherry, I'm glad that you chose to liberate the trees again. I've enjoyed reading other's and writing myself. One of, if not THE onr, the first poems that I memorized was Joyce Kilmer's "A Tree." Stoll a favorite. Sorry about your own domain and the landlord with the trees.
..

Anonymous said...

Great prompt Sherry. Shay's comment made me spit my coffee out. So funny. I went tangential here. Blame the muse ( and lack of coffee due to said spitting incident)

Fireblossom said...

*weeps at the loss of good coffee, then hands Paul a napkin* ;-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Jim, that was my first poem, too. Smiles.

Paul, i love that your poem even looks like a tree!

Kim M. Russell said...

I'm a bit late; it's now Friday afternoon, but we've had a stormy couple of days, with branches and whole trees blocking roads. But I've written plenty about wind and storms lately. I wanted to write in a way that demonstrates my love of trees. In our garden we have a very tall silver birch, a graceful tree with lots of personality - and soul. I hope my little tanka conveys this. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Thanks, Kim. I look forward to you posting your link. We are having big winds here, too - and thirty foot waves that have swallowed the beaches and may do some flooding. Yikes. Good indoor weather.

Frank J. Tassone said...

TGIF, Poets! Sorry I'm late to the party, but Thursday night is a busy one because of my son's Boy Scout troop meeting. Hope everyone's well. Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Be well. Sherry, thanks for the wonderful prompt!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You're welcome, Frank. See you Monday at Poets United!

Susie Clevenger said...

Sorry to be late. Love the tree sisters and thank you so much for the challenge Sherry!

Fireblossom said...

Well whaddya know, I can still do it. :-O