Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Figurative Language

D.A. Powell wrote a great article on Poets.org a few years ago that breaks down the different methods and uses of figurative writing in poetry. I recommend this article to anyone that is looking for new avenues of expression in their writing, and every time I read it I get something different out of it.

The Great Figure: On Figurative Language by D.A. Powell

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for posting this link - Powell is such an inspiration for 21st Century poetry. I was struck by his basic premise:
"If rhythm is the heart and breath of poetry, then surely figurative language is its beguiling and sexy skin and musculature." I think I lean heavily on figurative language in my own attempts at writing, as it awakens the imaginative journey.

This is a great article well worth reading.

Philip Thrift said...

This was a great article to read, and has lots to think about in applying its ideas to ones own poetry.

Ella said...

Thank you for sharing this with us~
Great read with lots of tips!