Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Sunday Challenge ~ Featuring Mama Zen

I feel like this is the moment I draw the rabbit out of the hat to the collective gasp of my astounded audience...  Oh, yeah! I got Mama Zen!


The Avatar 


Mama Zen is a fellow Toad with a camera. When she's not posting at Another Damn Poetry Blog or The Zen of Motherhood, she likes to take pictures. "Occasionally, a few of them turn out to be in focus..."


© Mama Zen Photography


When Angels Sleep
                         by Mama Zen


Snuggled deep within a cloud of soft and snowy white,
the angel says her bedtime prayers, then whispers, sweet, “Goodnight.”
She gently rests her tired head upon her angel wings.
With a sigh and closing eyes, she soon begins to dream.


Her golden curls tumble down
across a peaceful brow
that knows no cares or worries
and rarely wears a frown.


Her long black lashes flutter
as she giggles in her sleep.
And I can’t help but sneak a kiss
upon her rosy cheek.


She snuggles closer to me.
I whisper, “Love you true.”
When angels sleep, when angels dream,
they look a lot like you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MZ has selected several of her photographs for our poetic inspiration. Each one is copyrighted to her, so please remember to acknowledge the name of the artist if you upload an image to your blog.  Please do not select another image from MZ's blog without her express permission.


© Mama Zen Photography


I refused to even touch a camera until after I gave birth. I was afraid that I would break it! After having a baby, however, everything became a photo op. Plus, digital makes it so easy.


© Mama Zen Photography


As for creative process . . . I point, I shoot, and I sometimes get lucky. I don't have the technical skills or knowledge to "set up" a shot. And, I certainly can't talk camera specs. But, I know what I like when I see it.

© Mama Zen Photography


And, the "seeing" is the best part. Since I started taking pictures, I notice more of the beautiful, the ugly, and the flat out weird that surrounds me. That's a greater gift than any in-focus picture.


© Mama Zen Photography


The Sunday Challenge is posted on Saturday at noon CST to allow extra time for the creative process, so please do not link up old work which kind of fits the image. Members will only respond to poetry written specifically for this prompt: this is in the spirit of our Real Toads project to create opportunities for poets to be newly inspired. Management reserves the right to remove unrelated links.


26 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh so cool! Mama Zen! Wonderful photos! Yippee! Plunging in.

Anonymous said...

That sunflower is gorgeous! I love macro shots. What kind of camera do you use?

rosemarymint.wordpress.com

Susie Clevenger said...

Such beautiful images. You do amazing photography!!

Peggy said...

Enjoyed this piece about you Mama Z. I also like to take pictures and couldn't agree more that the greatest gift of photography is how taking photos changes the way one looks at things. These are nice photos--you must have a steady hand! I will ponder on these and see what poetry blooms!

hedgewitch said...

Great photos, MZ--this will be very hard to choose one from...they all have a strong appeal for me. Thanks for letting us have at 'em.

Fireblossom said...

What a treat! Kelli has been my Favorite, come rain or shine, ever since we crossed paths in 2008. I'm looking forward to writing for her photographs.

Susie Clevenger said...

Mama Zen your photography actually inspired two poems...I will share the other one on Open link Monday

Hannah said...

Oh, Mama Zen!! I love your philosophy surrounding your photography! I roll the same way, it's rather freeing, taking off the pressure for perfection and in turn I believes more space for it to happen naturally. You capture beautiful images and words!! Thank you!

Tina´s PicStory said...

beautiful pics and poetry :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

The first piece I wrote was no good. I gave up and drove to the supermarket. I began to notice things along the way, and lines began to assemble themselves in my head. All I had was my blackberry, but I had to keep stopping in the aisles to write down my notes. It was like everything that had been whirling in my brain after a week of reading the input on RT chose those moments to coalesce into words.

Maude Lynn said...

You guys are so sweet! I'm a little under the weather, but I'll be around as soon as I can.

Margaret said...

Oh, that poem just about did me in, Mama Zen! ...(I just subjected my four year old son to a thousand squeezes and check kisses) I have SOOO much going on today (horse clinic, A HOUSE SHOWING ... UGH and my 19 year son is lead singer in a band tonight.

I plan on doing the Sunday challenge on Monday - hope that is OK.

Daydreamertoo said...

You may not class yourself as a professional, but, you do have a gift of taking some fabulous photographs at just the right moment. That is a gift and also a talent some may never have.
Loved all of these pics MZ.
Great prompt Kerry, thank you.

hedgewitch said...

GAH! I had three different poems going for this at one time--the one I chose--finally!--I'm still not happy with, but it won the fight and I have given up, at least for now. Will be by to read a bit later. Happy Weekend, all, and hope you feel better, MZ.

Anonymous said...

Whew! I've been so busy, but glad I found a poem today... Brilliant photography, MZ

Kay L. Davies said...

The photo of your angel is wonderful, Kelli, and the poem even more so, if possible.
So happy to be using your photos as inspiration this weekend.
K

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, MZ. I don't think I chose my favorite, but it was the one that was easiest for me to write from. (And I confess to being in a state of going with what's easiest!) Thanks much. K.

PS - the photo of you daughter is just beautiful, as is the poem. K.

De Jackson said...

These photos are gorgeous, and I've read all, so far...loving where these inspiring visuals are taking everyone. Happy Poeming!

Kenia Santos said...

Beautiful! I'm trying to write something to one of the photos. <3

Mary said...

Better late than never! A short one though, as my mind is a bit tired from NaPoWriMo!

Laura said...

gorgeous poem and that first photo...exquisite!

Richard King Perkins II said...

I was unable to integrate these photos into a satisfying work.

Fireblossom's pre-Enlightenment poem is intriguing. When there is an open promise of syphilis, one must always pay strict attention.

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Beautiful, beautiful photographs Mama Z! Thanks so much for the prompt, Kerry!

Ella said...

Wonderful poem and photos! I will try to get caught up tomorrow~
Hubby arrived home and I haven't been home, much~
I'm inspired by your view :D

Lolamouse said...

I'm WAY behind on all of my Toad challenges! Been at a community mediator training class since Friday and all weekend. Just now had the chance to catch up on blog reading, but I LOVE your photos and share your philosophy on point, shoot, and hope for the best! I'll definitely choose one of these for a poem right after I FINALLY finish my Mucha for FB's last challenge!

PattiKen said...

I love your poem, MZ. Is there anything more peaceful than a sleeping child. Would that they can keep that with them as they move into adulthood.

I also enjoyed reading the "process" behind your wonderful photography. Who needs technical skill when you have an eye like that?