Saturday, February 8, 2014

Sunday Feature Artist: Lisa Graham

Hello toads & fellow visitors!!   I am very happy to feature the lovely artwork by Lisa Graham.   She is a registered nurse by training and self-taught artist, family girl and art junkie living in Wichita, Kansas, USA.    

"I have explored creative outlets since childhood...dance,  piano, cello, doll making and more... but did not find my  true love in art until nearly 42 years of age, when out of boredom I drew a picture of a chair in my living room with my grown son's old Crayola colored pencils.  I was so elated with the result that I went out the very next day and bought  a quality set of colored pencils and I drew anything and everything I could think of  for the next two months.   I felt like I had tapped into a part of my brain that had never been used before. Then one winter night at a friend's house, she suggested we paint something.   I have been painting ever since.

The inspiration for my art work is drawn from a vast mix of imagination, emotion, life travels,family, friends, and every day scenes and places that catch my attention.   A  funny expression, an old photo, a beautiful building, a quaint cafe, a mother leading her children, grief and loss and joy, or even the color of my morning coffee...these are all the things I love to capture in my paintings."

           Bree & Dreamweaver Coat





The Blessing Bringer


                                                     
                                                                    Scrapbook City

                                                                                    Fleeting Thoughts
                                                                      
                                                     
                                                     Mama Likes the House in Order
                                                                   
                                                 

 
                                                                The Wishing Sisters
                                                                      

                                  Georgey and Esther Attend Couple's Therapy



                                                               Sunflower Stepper
                                                     
"I hope my work brings you joy and causes you to look more closely at the beautiful world around you.  I also hope that if you have ever wished you could draw or paint that my story will encourage you to take that first step.  Discovering this passion for art has been life changing for me and it would be for you too!


Thank you for looking at my art!"

Blog:   http://lisagrahamart.blogspot.ca/
Facebook:   Lisa Graham Art 
Etsy Shop:   http://www.etsy.com/shop/LisaGrahamArt

Our challenge is to write a new poem or prose poem or flash fiction (250 words limit)  based on the work of Lisa Graham. If you upload her image/s in your writing, please acknowledge the name of the artist and link to her site. She has expressed interest in our work and I will be sending her the link after we have completed our challenge.   I will be checking in during the week to see if anyone else has linked up. 

Wishing you all Happy Weekend ~ Grace (aka Heaven)


21 comments:

Ella said...

Hi Lisa and Grace, I am enchanted with the mood of your art-beautiful!
I once painted sunflowers on my mother's garden gate. I have to write to this piece! Grace you for sharing Lisa with us-her talent is remarkable~

Grace said...

Hi Ella, I wish I can find my muse - the one who sketches & paints. Maybe someday ~

Looking forward to your words ~

Happy weekend to all ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

Beautiful ethereal pictures, Grace. Thank you for bringing another amazing artist to Real Toads, and our gratitude to Lisa for so generously sharing her work here.

Margaret said...

These are amazing and can't wait to settle down later tonight and give them some thought! Thank you, Lisa - you obviously have a poetic soul.

Fireblossom said...

These are just marvelous. I can't wait to try.

Unknown said...

I really like Lisa's work! Hope I can find the time to do this!

Grace said...

Ladies, I am looking forward to your poems or prose poem or stories ~ If you are busy this weekend, feel free to link up during the week & I will visit ~

Gail said...

Wonderful art.

Thanks, Grace for the challenge.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, these paintings are wonderful. Really enjoyed this prompt.

http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/red-haired-girls/

Susan said...

Whoops. This poem belongs to the Sharkey's Day prompt. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Grace, thank you for sharing Lisa's work. Lisa - I love your quote at the end. I'm in my 40's taking an online art class. Have a lot to learn, but your story has inspired me! Thank you!

rudraprayaga said...

Vow!Lovely.

Margaret said...

I love this art work. I'll be back later tonight to visit and comment - have Sunday errands to run. ;)

Fireblossom said...

I think I may have been bolted away with, but hey. Too late to start editing myself now!

Other Mary said...

What very beautiful art work. Thank you Grace and thank you Lisa!

Susie Clevenger said...

Grace, thank you so much for introducing us to Lisa's work and my thanks to Lisa for graciously allowing us to draw inspiration from her art. It is so beautiful.

Jim said...

Thank you Lisa, for showing us a sampling of your art work. I loved every one of the girls.

And they, especially Bree & Dreamweaver Coat, inspired me to write of the hippy girls in my background. I loved them too.

Thank you too, Grace, for introducing Lisa and her lovely pictures.
..

Susan said...

Lovely food for thought and delight for the eyes.

Grace said...

Thanks so much for all the lovely poems and stories ~

Have a good week everyone ~

Helen said...

I love the whimsical feel of Lisa's art ... how wonderful of you to feature it Grace.

Hannah said...

These were so inspiring...thank you Lisa for sharing your beautiful work and to you Grace for hosting this challenge. :)