Definition

One must make a distinction however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the result is not poetry, nor till the autocrats among us can be “literalists of the imagination”—above insolence and triviality and can present for inspection, imaginary gardens with real toads in them, shall we have it.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

You could have done better....Out of Standard





Greetings Garden Dwellers!
Welcome back to Out of Standard, where I will call upon you to write out of the standard and find new places in the everyday.  It is in that spirit in which I present  September’s challenge...

LIES YOU COULD HAVE TOLD BETTER--
This month’s prompt is short and sweet and to the point.  Believe it or not, I am bereft at times.  Write a poem or piece of fiction which encapsulates a lie you could have told better. 

NOTE:
Your linked  piece should be a new work, written specifically for this challenge.

So go now, my muddy buddies, bring us back something shiny and new!

15 comments:

Karen said...

First of all, I can't believe I'm first! Thanks for inspiring this small poem.

Fireblossom said...

I can't write anything. A giant bird swooped down and carried off all of my pens. Honest.

Kenia Cris said...

A very nice prompt. :) I'll try to write to the challenge. I've just read this poem which is all about lies. I felt like sharing with you guys. <3

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/suicidal-lies-2/

Jim said...

I'm liking this one, Izzy. First a lot of chores to do, we are just getting up and around here.
If I can't remember the one I'd like to tell then I will write out the dream I had in the wee morning hours. A doozer.
..

hedgewitch said...

Not sure if this is what you wanted, Izy, but I had fun with it.Thanks for the challenge.

grapeling said...

not quite sure if this fits what you're going for Izy, but what the hey ~

Arushi Ahuja said...

Im not a great liar I usually get caught... leaves me witha lot of stories ... but no way I know how to have done the lying better... maybe ill just tell a story!! thank you Isadora!

Susan said...

This one fits in, somehow, I think.

Karen said...

Oh, I have a HUGE confession to make, and this is no lie: I messed up this morning when I linked to Real a Toads! I should have linked to another site. That's why, if my poem made no sense in terms of the prompt , aside, of course, from the "bare bulb promise" of the light itself.

Big oops!

Karen said...

...and now, I see that I should have proofread my incoherent confession! Sorry about that. That's a double oops.

Marian said...

Toads, a message from Izy: She's traveling with no internet access, but will read our Out of Standard responses when she gets home on Friday night. Safe travels, Izy!

(maybe that means I actually have time to respond, heh. xo MK)

Hannah said...

Wow, this was tricky at first...picking the situation. Thank you for the challenge, Izzy! :)

Margaret said...

Having trouble coming up with something… perhaps I 'm not ready to confess yet. I usually don't like to read linked poems until after I write mine but I will visit later tonight if I come up with nothing….

Thanks, Izy , for the challenge!

Mama Zen said...

Not sure mine is exactly what you had in mind, but it's up. Thanks, Izy!

Other Mary said...

I have a short, simple poem for your short, sweet prompt. I haven't been able to write for weeks - thanks for getting me going again!