Thursday, October 1, 2015

Transforming with Nature's Wonders


Hello, it's Hannah here, suggesting...let’s muse on Mount Roraima,Venezuela/Brazil/Guyana…


Image credits: imgur.com | Uwe George

The tabletop mountains of the park are considered some of the oldest geological formations on Earth, dating back to some two billion years ago in the Precambrian.
 
Vegetation on Mount Roraima wiki
Many of the species found on Roraima are unique to the plateau. Plants such as pitcher plants (Heliamphora), Campanula (a bellflower), and the rare Rapatea heather are commonly found on the escarpment and summit. It rains almost every day of the year. Almost the entire surface of the summit is bare sandstone, with only a few bushes (Bonnetia roraimœ) and algae present.

Maverick Rock, the highest point of Mount Roraima wiki
Since long before the arrival of European explorers, the mountain has held a special significance for the indigenous people of the region, and it is central to many of their myths and legends. The Pemon and Kapon natives of the Gran Sabana see Mount Roraima as the stump of a mighty tree that once held all the fruits and tuberous vegetables in the world. Felled by Makunaima, their mythical trickster, the tree crashed to the ground, unleashing a terrible flood. Roroi in the Pemon language means blue-green and ma means great.


Explore and be inspired! Please, add your link to your new poem and share in reading others as well. Thank you, for joining the challenge...this will be open until Saturday...I look forward to your words!

P.S. I apologize for the strange all caps print...I couldn't get it to switch out of this for some reason...I'm really not shouting!! :)'s  

11 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I always appreciate the opportunity to learn more about these unique places in the world, Hannah. Thank you.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

An intriguing prompt, Hannah. Rosemary and I have been having trouble with fonts not wanting to change, or else changing stubbornly into something we didnt want, too, especially lately. Try highlighting your entire draft, then clicking on the "remove formatting" icon on the upper right. Then you can - hopefully - change it to what you want it to be. However, we finally had to start working in Word and then cutting and pasting into blogger as the program is getting really difficult lately.

Amy Barlow Liberatore/Sharp Little Pencil said...

LOUDER! I CAN'T READ YOU!!! LOL Amy

Susie Clevenger said...

What a beautiful place. Thanks for bringing that part of the world to us Hannah

Hannah said...

Thank you, everyone I'm glad you like the challenge!!

I appreciate the tips on blogger, Sherry...I gave both methods a try and it didn't work out but it has in the past...techie hiccup in the matrix I guess. ;)


I look forward to reading and I'll keep checking back in! :)

brudberg said...

Love the background.. reminds me of the Lost world by sir Arthur Conan Doyle I read when I was a boy..

brudberg said...

BTW, if I have problems with formatting, I always switch to HTML mode, both here and in wordpress... not a lot of codes to learn actually.

Gillena Cox said...

luv the videos and all that nice info supporting today's prompt; i zeroed in on the tiniest as against the mammoth aspects of this place in my poem. I really had fun responding after taking in all the words and images

much love...

Hannah said...

Thank you, for joining in you guys and for the tips on formatting, Bjorn. :)'s and a happy weekend to everyone!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hannah, I have combined your prompt with mine, so it is linked twice.

Thanks for the stunning views.

Hannah said...

Excellent, Kerry. I'm glad that you enjoyed!

Thank you all, I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and I'm grateful for your participation in my challenge this week! :)