Thursday, January 11, 2018

Rhubarb

Greetings fellow Toads. On this day, Jan 11th 1770, the first shipment of rhubarb was sent to the United States from London. When I think of the word rhubarb I am reminded of an animated children's show from my childhood, Roobarb and Custard, first aired in 1974. ( I was 11)



It got me to thinking in a nostalgic way about the story characters (books, TV and film) that may have had some subconscious influence on me from childhood. Did Toad of Toad Hall instill a sense of abandon in me? Did Alice open up a wonderland? Did Mr Benn open the door to Shamanism or travel?

What character(s) might have found a home in your psyche? How would they write if they were to pen a poem? Today I would ask that you tune your channel to one or more of those subconscious storytellers and pen a poem from their perspective or simply write a poem about them.

If your character is obscure, from a different culture or era perhaps, then enlighten us in your notes.

Link up as usual and do the rounds of reading and commenting. Have fun. 



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Folks. Hope you have fun with the theme and look forward to catching up with your poems over the next day.

Jim said...

Sounds like fun, Paul. Thank you. BTW, Rhubarb is one of my favorite pies. Stawberry Rhubarb is great too. But Rhubarb won't grow down here in the Texas Gulf Coast region.
..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Hi Paul, I am intrigued. Smiles.

Anonymous said...

@jim. We have a Rhubarb triangle in the UK. @Sherry. I look forward to what you might bring.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love the theme. For some reason the queen in Alice in Wonderland came to my mind and I went with what she was really thinking about Alice.

Kim M. Russell said...

Good evening, Paul. I've re-written an adventure from the point of view of Piglet, exploring his role and relationship with Winnie the Pooh, with young readers in mind. I hope it appeals to you too!

Rommy said...

This is pure Rommy-bait! It's tough to pick just one.

Anonymous said...

Glad it is resonating with you all @Rommy @Kim @Susie
I'll be along to read now x

brudberg said...

I need to sleep on this... I'm sure if I present a character you will not have heard about him...

Anonymous said...

@bjorn...help us with notes ;)

Unknown said...

Fun one, thanks. Really took me back.

brudberg said...

OK I ended up with Professor Balthazar... you might know about him

Anonymous said...

Some light-hearted relief here Paul and a nostalgic trip into the custard with Roobarb - - even so it took me quite a while to dig up the Mole

Frank J. Tassone said...

Hi, Toads! Sorry I'm so late with this one, Paul, as you've come up with an amazing prompt! I have always been fascinated by Luke Skywalker. So it was time to let him tell his story! :)

Gillena Cox said...

Late and loving this prompt
Thanks Paul

much love...