Saturday, January 13, 2018

Fussy Little Forms: Chained Rhyme

Hello, dear Friends and happy weekend to you! It is time for a form challenge. Today we will revisit a form introduced in the Garden by Joy a few years ago and enjoyed by many: CHAINED RHYME.

I don’t really think this form counts as fussy or little. But let’s do it anyway. The basic premise is that the last syllable or word of each line is followed by a rhyme on the first word or syllable of the next line. LIKE A CHAIN, get it? Hah. 

It’s not really fussy or little because the poem can be anything you want--long lines or short, many lines or just a few, strict meter or no meter, whatever you like. Just those rhymes and the end and start of your lines.

Joy’s earlier prompt is so amazing that I am being lazy (and not redundant!) by linking to her description here, check it out:

    Chained Rhyme, Part One by Joy/Hedgewitch 
 

I’ve written a few chained rhyme poems and really like this exercise.  Here is one example:

When the season turns Blue,
bruised by silence buried in snow,
no end in sight,
light a distant
remnant of Noontimes forgot,
fought over, then ignored,
stored for another dark week on Earth,
it’s worth recalling how it feels,
heels entrenched,
benched like an understudy waits,
ingratiates the Moon to draw its curtains back,
black like night,
flight impossible, no one watching under
cover of the greyest shroud--Clouds.
 
Have fun! And if this doesn’t pique your creativity, perhaps this fantastic video by 
Katy Perry will inspire. We are all chained to the rhythm!

16 comments:

Marian said...

Oops, that word "Clouds" is supposed to be the last line, one word line. I had a really hard time with this post, Blogger giving me a headache! Oy. But you get the gist. And now to chain our rhymes, 3-2-1...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Marian!💞 I had fun composing mine which turned into a story-poem (tee-hee) Happy Weekend, everybody!💞

Anonymous said...

Love this. Exhuasted thought after a really long day so will drop by tomorrow when brain is working.

brudberg said...

Really quite challenging... did my best

Carrie Van Horn said...

This was so cool!! So glad I made it today.....I may not get around to everyone's post until Tuesday, but I will get there. Thanks Marian!

Unknown said...

Very Cool! I've never heard of this. It'll be fun reading the poems.
MNL (Cactus Haiku)

Kerry O'Connor said...

There is such elegance in chained rhyme, but it is definitely a challenge to keep a smooth flow. I look forward to reading the responses.

Kim M. Russell said...

I'm not long up and have just seen the prompt. Nice one, Marian! I've had a go at a chained poem before but this might take me a while. So I'll see you all later!

Fireblossom said...

This is not easy to do, to remember the rhyme at the start of every line, and make the poem say what you want it to, and not get sidetracked by the form.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Loved the challenge of this - cheers Marian!
Anna :o]

Marian said...

Well... agree with Shay, easier said than done! But I think this is super-fun and possibly addictive. Love everyone's entries so far. :)
Can you all see the Katy Perry video? I find it wondrous!

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

It was fun making the rhyme. But I think my Lady Muse was taking a long nap.
..

Marian said...

Angie, sadly I cannot find your poem! Link, link!

Marian said...

Candy, no comments on your blog? I enjoyed your poem. Oh yeah, there was some kind of ballgame yesterday, wasn't there? ;)

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!! I luv the video. Gorgeous fun prompt. My Post will be late as late as Tuesday Platform Jan 16th

much love...