Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Poem as a One-Sided Conversation

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself?



Maybe you have long conversations with yourself....

Every Morning


I read the papers.
I unfold them and examine them in the sunlight.
The way the red mortars, in photographs,
arc down into neighborhoods
like stars, the way death
combs everything into a grey rubble before 
the camera moves on. What
dark part of my soul 
shivers: you don't want to know more 
about this. And then: you don't know anything
unless you do...

Read More of this poem by Mary Oliver.


Or say a lot but no one was listening?

Gertrude Stein by Pablo Picasso
Copyright of Meme: Stefan Stenudd
Fair Use

Today, I wish for us to celebrate the poem as a one-sided conversation, written for a silent and even disinterested audience, because poetry is an aspect of individual creativity that goes beyond literary appreciation or criticism. We write because we think and the act of setting the words down shows that these thoughts matter, maybe to ourselves alone, maybe to someone else who happens to read them.


10 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

Thank you for this wonderful prompt, Kerry! Mine was a poem waiting to happen!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Thank you for the challenging prompt, Kerry!💞 Sharing my poem 'On a cold winter morning' Happy Thursday everyone!💞

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hi folks, at last I have a new computer up and running.. though I've had to make a BIG jump from my trusty old Windows XP to Windows 10. Yikes!! I don't know where anything is.

I know I will be inspired afresh by all the poetry shared today.

Thanks to all.

Debi Swim said...

I am going to be gone (to see my new granddaughter) but will be back Monday to catch up with everyone. Thanks Kerry for an interesting prompt.

Vivian Zems said...

A great prompt, Kerry! It fitted in well with a book I've had my nose in for 3 days. I look forward to reading the others.

Jim said...

That was a nice, fun write, Kerry. Thank you.
BTW, yesterday I bragged on our Texas Summer weather, today it's going to stay in the high 60°F's. Just saying, just talking.
..

Frank J. Tassone said...

Afternoon, Toads! Thanks, Kerry!

Margaret said...

Thank you... I'll be back later tonight to visit and comment

brudberg said...

I really want to join this... my time has been quite limited with a lot of time working.... Something will come.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I will post and read in the morning, kids. Am beat tonight.