Saturday, July 28, 2018

Weekend Mini Challenge: At the Seaside


Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from Writing in North Norfolk.

Nobody seems to send postcards any more. I still have some that my grandmother collected over the years, ones she received from friends and relatives who went to the seaside on their summer holidays, even if only for a day trip! Many had views of the beach, pier and esplanades of various seaside towns, while others were of the saucy variety with jokes I couldn’t understand as a child and which would nowadays be considered politically incorrect!

I remember my grandmother taking my sister and me on coach trips to the south coast of England, to places like Margate, Littlehampton, Bognor Regis and Brighton, to name but a few. She’d buy us buckets, spades, windmills and the obligatory stick of rock. We’d change into swimming costumes behind a huge bright beach towel and then run to and from the sea with the buckets of water to fill the moats around our sandcastles. Once we built a car and a boat out of sand. Those days still glow in my memory, even the windy, rainy ones – and there were plenty of them.

Image result for L.S.Lowry at the seaside Pinterest
'At the Seaside' by L.S. Lowry - stock image found on Pinterest

I found a wonderful painting by L.S. Lowry which, for me, expresses the essence of old-fashioned seaside trips and holidays. I imagine there are similarities in seaside resorts around the world, but also huge differences.

For this week’s mini challenge I would like you to write a NEW poem in a form of your choice that paints a clear, possibly postcard, scene of the seaside you know or remember.  

Join our day trip by clicking on Mister Linky and filling in your name and url – not forgetting to click the small ‘privacy policy’ box. And please remember to read and comment on other toads’ poems – we do like to be beside the seaside!

8 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool, Kim. I will be back!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the challenge, Kim 💞 I attempted a Triquain Crown.. hope you like it. Happy Weekend everyone ☕

brudberg said...

My coast is a bit starker... I might have gone a bit more into myths of the sea here.

Anmol (HA) said...

I just found this prompt so forthcoming for ideas and memories. Love these kinds of challenges that nudge right at the center of a repressed thought and help turn that into something more real and recognizable.
I really enjoyed it, also the wonderful verses linked thus far.
-HA

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Cheers for this wonderful prompt Kim, which I must add seriously messed up my plans for tonight! :o]
I think it was your mention of Bognor Regis that triggered my change of plans, for memories came flooding back that I just couldn't ignore.
I am so glad you made me remember happy times of childhood Kim, as I loved writing in response to your prompt.
Anna :o]

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a delightful prompt! I love the L.S.Lowry painting, but I love even more the William Robinson painting I've used with my poem. He is a famous Australian artist, and his beach scene has a more Aussie flavour.

Kerry O'Connor said...

The sea offers much inspiration!

Kim M. Russell said...

I'm thrilled that my prompt struck a chord with you all! Thank you for the wonderful poems I've read so far.