Saturday, October 20, 2018

Micro Poetry ~ Notebook Poetry

The object of this challenge has always been to write a poem of between one and twelve lines, in a form of your choice, but for the month of October, I would like to expand on this idea.
First, as it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I am doubling the number of lines.


@skyloverpoetry

Back in August, I felt inspired to begin a new project, one that would take my poetry to a different platform. I did something, which for me, is quite out of my comfort zone... yes, I ventured into the world of social media and opened an Instagram account. Since then, I have been rediscovering some of my own poems, and I have fallen in love with "notebook" poetry. It has reminded me of how I first began to write my words down with a pen on paper, rather than as I do now, wholly in a word document. It had got to the point that a poem didn't gel for me unless I saw it developing on my monitor in Georgia font! Now I am taking my time, using a nib pen dipped in ink, and even illustrating a few pieces. This month is known as #inktober on Instagram where today's prompt is "Breakable".

I wondered if I might inspire others to return to the comfort of pen and paper. I do not expect you all to rush about looking for an ancient bottle of ink (like I did) but I would love to see a photo of your work written in your own handwriting, or some kind of graphic presentation of your poem.

This is not a stipulation of the prompt... merely a request. Let us all remember the joy of the process!




14 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hello, friends. Looking forward to reading your poems this weekend.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Kerry!❤️ I will be back shortly with a second piece on "Breakable."

Kerry O'Connor said...

Please post both your pieces, Sanaa.. The prompt is optional and I loved your notebook poem.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Will do, Kerry! I am aiming to post them both together!❤️

tonispencer said...

This is interesting. I am probably the only poet I know who dies not write poems down, having used the computer for years to write my poetry. My handwriting is so poor. I could snap you a photo of my poem on the screen or a series of beginnings or endings as I keep a file on the computer. That is the best I can do.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Toni, I am happy with a poem posted in the usual way - the notebook is only an option. I also gave up notebooks years ago, but have recently rediscovered my love of them.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I wrote longhand when I was young, and I believe my poems had a fluidity then that they dont have when I type. There was a mind-heart-hand connection to them. This is an intriguing prompt. I will see what I can do. Kerry, your example is just so beautiful!!!!!! Wow. Loving someone in the lonely place is a gift not everyone is given.

Helen said...

Your prompt is fascinating and a lovely challenge.

brudberg said...

I am with Toni on this... but I will try to write something in longhand, but probably only after I have done it on computer :-)

Marian said...

Love, love!!!!!
Kerry, I have been so impressed and inspired by your Instagram account. My goodness!!!!
I love my notebook and am never without it, but never share anything from there because my handwriting is... challenging. :)
Thanks for this, super-fun. xoxo

said...

You are as brilliant an artist as you are poet. I adore that sketch. I think you've made me want to draw more than write.

said...

I'll try to write something in the morning.

-Shawna

Anmol (HA) said...

I adore your notebook poems, Kerry!
Thanks for an interesting challenge — I do write in my notebook sometimes but this time, I tried to be more comprehensible. Ha!

Margaret said...

I am playing SO late - I will link up on Tuesday with this poem. Can't wait to see the other entries for this challenge - how fun!