Saturday, June 22, 2013

Sunday Mini Challenge ~ Jim Morrison



Recently I have been reading Jim Morrison's poetry. Most people who know the name associate him with the 1960's musical group, The Doors. Not only was he a talented musician and singer, but he was also an accomplished poet.
__________________________________________

Without a Trace

We come to this world desperately,
we die in a fear of being dead.
Who could make up such a cruelty?
I would like to send a message
to the drafter:
Your plan is successfully done,
I'll disappear without a trace,
I promise.
_________________________________________

Awake

Shake dreams from your hair
My pretty child, my sweet one.
Choose the day and
choose the sign of your day
The day’s divinity
First thing you see.
A vast radiant beach
in a cool jeweled moon
Couples naked race down by it’s quiet side
And we laugh like soft, mad children
Smug in the woolly cotton brains of infancy
The music and voices are all around us.
Choose, they croon, the Ancient Ones
The time has come again
Choose now, they croon,
Beneath the moon
Beside an ancient lake
Enter again the sweet forest
Enter the hot dream
Come with us
Everything is broken up and dances
_________________________________________
When I first started writing this challenge I got so caught up in his poetry and how it is the subconscious speaking it became way too heavy for a "mini" challenge. So I took a breath hit delete and came back and decided to provide a list of  a few songs by the Doors for your inspiration. Choose one or as a many as you like and use the title/titles somewhere in your poem. Please provide a new poem and visit your fellow writers to read their creations.

Light My Fire
People Are Strange
Hello I love You
Love Me Two Times
Riders On The Storm
The Crystal Ship
When The Music's Over
Backdoor Man

The Sunday Mini-Challenge is hosted by Susie Clevenger.

32 comments:

Grace said...

Thank you for link to his poems Susie ~ The titles are very interesting to play around ~ Will try my best to write for this (and also Corey's prompt) ~


Wishing everyone a happy weekend ~

Ella said...

Wow, I just had the song Riders of the Storm on my blog....so cool!
Love it-thank you Susie
Happy weekend Toads!

Sayantini said...

Wow...great challenge. I am up for this!! Happy blogging :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool, Susie!Thanks.

Maude Lynn said...

Out here we is stoned immaculate . . .

hedgewitch said...

That second poem is especially alive, Susie. Great challenge!

Anonymous said...

Some of my favs listed here, Susie!
First discovered JM the poet when a student in my senior class did a project on his work. So talented!
Back later to respond. :)

Maggie Grace said...

Riders On The Storm would have been a great haiku line but went out of my comfort zone a bit. Thanks for the interesting challenge, Susie!

Unknown said...

I remember playing his records on my brother's stereo. Oops, hope my brother doesn't see this comment...Thanks for the prompt!

enthusiastically, dawn said...

As a teen I loved his music, as an adult I discovered his poetry. Him and James Dean are my two fave male icons...excepting my fave of all Freddie Mercury. Insert heavy sigh here. ;)

Fireblossom said...

Oh, I am *so* up for this!

Dig MZ going all Texas Radio & The Big Beat on our azzes!

Marian said...

i have an older Jim Morrison poem but maybe i can revisit that part of my psyche for your cool challenge, Susie.

Gail said...

Thanks.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks everyone. Seems Jim Morrison's poetry and music is stirring pens to create. I am looking forward to reading everyone's work.

Hannah said...

Oh, those are excellent poems and jumping points, Susie! Thank you.

I've been unplugged and writing old school...there's a poem for this there...maybe it will see daylight!

Ha...big adjustment...school vacation.

Happy writing!

Janine Bollée said...

Spoilt for choice with these mouthwatering titles, Susie. Thank you for yet again a new music lead.

Wanda Psycho said...

He was probably the greatest rock poet of all time. There will never be another like him.

LaTonya Baldwin said...

Wrote this for another prompt. Then I read Susie, and thought I'd throw my name in the hat. Off to read and comment.

Grace said...

LaTonya - your poem fits this prompt too ~

Marian - I love your share dear ~

LaTonya Baldwin said...

Fireblossom, linked up. Thanks.

Susie Clevenger said...

Marian, loved your poem. "unknown wildness unexpected and accepted" That fires some memories in me. Thanks for writing for the prompt!

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks so much everyone for participating in the challenge. Each one of you stepped up with some fantastic work!

Helen said...

Incredible challenge, Susie!!! Jim Morrison's poetry ranks among the most inspiring I've read.

Peggy said...

This was a challenge for me as it was hard to escape the sounds of the voices and instruments and really go with the words and meaning. Strange how music can stick with you for such a long time! Good prompt!

Myrna R. said...

Susie, forgive me for submitting after Sunday is almost over. It was such a nice challenge but I wasn't able to write something 'til now. Hope that's okay.

Susie Clevenger said...

Hey Myrna, that is fine! I have often had to backtrack on challenges. So happy you stopped by and took on the challenge!!

Margaret said...

Oh... just getting a chance to set down... at 9:45 pm. These past few days I have been SO busy with family. I have made most of the challenges but have NOT visited all of them. I WILL backtrack, I will catch up.

What happened to the "lazy days of summer"? ... I think that was meant for children and retired folk ... not middle aged parents SIGH

It's all good. "these are the best days of my life..." hmmm.

I will try and be back in a few with something - it is a real intriguing challenge. Thanks, Susie!

Leovi said...

I love Jim Morrison as a musician and a poet! A great pity he died so young!

Helen said...

Just read Marian's poem ... wow.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I'm so sorry I missed this challenge, Susie, but I will return to it.

Susie Clevenger said...

Kerry, looking forward to what you create!

Susie Clevenger said...

Again, thanks to all who participated in the challenge! So much talent in one place is mind boggling!