Saturday, July 22, 2017

Weekend Mini Challenge: Buildings


Welcome to the Weekend Mini Challenge with Kim from writinginnorthnorfolk.com!

One of my favourite poems by Philip Larkin is ‘The Building’, which I cannot reproduce here due to copyright restrictions. However, I can provide a link to the poem HERE 

as well as a link to a YouTube recording of Larkin reading his poem: 



What I like about it is the way in which the poem conveys the physical appearance and atmosphere of a hospital without once using the term ‘hospital’, through the use of certain words and connotations.

Today’s challenge is to write about a building. It could be a specific building with a name that we would all know without directly naming it. It could be a church, a school or a building in which you have lived. It could be a department store, a government building or a concert hall. It is up to the reader to work out what the building is. Your poem does not have to consist of nine stanzas like Larkin’s and can be in any form you choose, but it should be a new poem.

Link up your new poem via Mr. Linky, visit other Toads, and leave some friendly graffiti on their buildings! It'll be fun trying to work out what those buildings are. Happy building!


11 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I have a feeling that we're in for a treat and I'm looking forward to working out what your buildings are.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such an interesting challenge. Thanks, Kim.

Anonymous said...

Where is everyone?

Kim M. Russell said...

I think Saturday happened...

Jae Rose said...

Bit of an obtuse take on the prompt - but we are trapped in this building looking out onto the stones

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the challenge. I had to battle mother nature's interrupting my wifi, but I got it posted. :)

Angie said...

I'm on the road...but had some time to upload something while at the hotel:)

Gillena Cox said...

Have a nice week everyone

much love...

Jim said...

Forgot to check in. This was a fun promp. There are a lot of buildings in our lives for whice we can write of our experiences.
..

Jim said...

Forgot to check in. This was a fun promp. There are a lot of buildings in our lives for whice we can write of our experiences.
..

Sok Sareth said...


I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog.
I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again...

ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก