Thursday, September 15, 2011

In Short, An Interview

Hello everyone, it's Grace again.  I hope you aren't getting tired of me already.  As it's my turn to give a short interview, I called upon Marian, of runaway sentence., which might have been lazy as she's a dear friend.  However, I've admired her work for a long time, and one of our favorite things to do is hold a conversation in short poems--I love haiku, and she excels at the cinquain.  Marian was recently interviewed by Sherry Blue Sky for Poets United, so I wanted to do something a little different.  I hope you enjoy our little exercise as much as we enjoyed writing it.

image courtesy of  Karin Taylor, whose brilliant artwork is available here!


The dim shades of night
or bright tones of sunny days.
Which do you prefer?
ah, both
sunny and dark
if i could have my way
i'd rise early, stay up late, prize
naptime.
A flower, pressed flat
in a favorite book of poems--
Which one would you choose?
of course
siv cedering
my mentor, or perhaps
nikki giovanni, or else
rimbaud.
Your family is
knit tight, you write much of them.
Do they inspire?
sometimes
i just record
what is said in my house
they say brilliant things & i write
them down. 

portrait of the author and her children courtesy of runaway sentence.


Poetic ideals
linger from youth. Who are your
favorite authors?
chabon,
terry tempest
williams, & if from youth
e.b. white. we eat, breathe harry
potter.
More influences?
I am certain you have them,
with such rich writing!
love is
the only thing
that matters: of other,
of oneself, of the earth. love does
conquer.
Short-format poesy,
you have taken for your own.
Why choose short formats?
i love
economy
in words. no excess, each
poem a puzzle with something
to say.

image acquired at the aptly named getfreeimage.com


A recipe for
your favorite meal, please share.
We are all hungry.
Sweet Potato Hash

Thank you, Marian, for letting me talk you into these things!  It's always a pleasure to chat with you.

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh my!! What an idea for an interview.. I just love it. Thank you both for sharing something of your friendship with us all today.

Bubba said...

Nothing tells a poet's story better than their own words. Nicely done!

Cameron said...

quite possibly the most entertaining interview format in the history of ever.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

What CDG said - this is so delightful and entertaining, I wondered why no one ever thought of it before. How cool are you two? SO much fun!!!!! Now you will have us all interviewing in verse, as if meeting deadlines isnt challenging enough, hee hee. I so loved this. I see Young Son has new glasses. Tell him he looks like Harry Potter, then he'll love them!!!! Such adorable faces in that photo, all three. Happiness, just to look at you.

Marian said...

young son IS harry potter. those aren't glasses for seeing, they are glasses for being! he had a scar made with eyeliner on his forehead most of the summer, too. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, I'm glad to read the scar is fake! Wonderful interview, wonderful children, fabulous format.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Anonymous said...

Cool!

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

This was areal delight. I too love an economy of words and I am always paring down poems. This was a very special interview to me ... a real sharing from these two poets ... plus I am getting dinner in the bargain!

California Ink in Motion said...

What a beautiful family you have! Love the young Harry Potter, mine was Superman. I think I made 5 different capes. Loved the format of this interview. Well Done! Nice to meet you!

Marian said...

likewise! thank you, lovely friends. do try that recipe, it's YUMMY and very autumnish. mmmm.

Ella said...

Well Done ladies; I love the flow and the expression of being in poetic tongue~ Insightful and fun!

Lance said...

This style fits you. You're a great interview free and fun like this. Awesome, Marian.

cosmos cami said...

Loved this!!!!!!!