Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kerry's Wednesday Challenge

The BIG BAD WOLF ARCHETYPE in folk tales.


                                                                                                                      Forest by lukpazera


In both Little Red Riding Hood, and The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids, the theme of the ravening wolf and of the creature released unharmed from its belly reflects the theme of restoration which is at least as old as Jonah and the Whale.


Folklorists and cultural anthropologists have seen Little Red Riding Hood in terms of solar myths and other naturally-occurring cycles, stating that the wolf represents the night swallowing the sun, and the variations in which Little Red Riding Hood is cut out of the wolf's belly represent the dawn In this interpretation, there is a connection between the wolf of this tale and Skoll or Fenris, the wolf in Norse mythology that will swallow the sun at Ragnarök
In a time when both wolves and wilderness were treated as enemies of humanity in that region and time, these fables served as a valid warning not to enter forests where wolves were known to live.


This week, let us explore the theme of the predator, either real or imagined, within the lines of a poem, or follow the lines of myth, the images of restoration or the loss of innocence.
(There’s some freaky psychology behind Red Riding Hood).

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent prompt. i'm so stirred up lately, i might get two or three things done this week if i can create the time.
fable and myth and psychology and predators...
who could fail to go places with this?

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic prompt! So many places to go with it, I may re-visit this and see what fresh faces it brings.

Ostensible Truth said...

well, I do love the Red Riding Hood tale - and have a piece that is perfect for this already written - so will pop it up here! great prompt!

Susie Clevenger said...

I wrote this a while back, but it is so fitting for the prompt I posted it.

Laurie Kolp said...

I like this, Kerry... I'll get back later to post (this afternoon is crazy w/ the kids).

Mystic_Mom said...

I did a slightly different take on it, hope you like what the wolf had to say!

Kenia Santos said...

Awesome challenge. I'll think of something and come back later (tomorrow)

<3

Ella said...

I love this challenge! Thank you; I am playing catch up, again...

Kerry O'Connor said...

Seems like I'm the one playing catch-up... You have all left me chewing the dust of your hot trails. Thanks for the awesome response over-night.

Jinksy said...

I've had a funny five minutes...

Daydreamertoo said...

Great prompt. Hope my post is ok for it.

Kay L. Davies said...

I didn't think I could do this one. And I couldn't, not with a straight face, but something emerged this morning, whether I liked it or not.
Now to read everyone else's—I won't let myself do that until my own is posted. Subconscious plagiarism is not the same thing as deliberately, for an exercise, imitating Kipling or someone else long dead, so I won't expose myself to the possibility by reading first, writing later.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Peggy said...

I went with my first thoughts about predators--looks as if I am an urban/suburban creature here. This was quite an interesting prompt. I look forward to seeing what other write too.

Robert Lloyd said...

Ok I was tempted to do a second one after reading a few of the other poems offered here. It sat in my head for a while we are all predators of sorts. We lure people to our blogs with our poems and then we stalk those very same people for theirs. I found it a fun thought hence my offering of the second poem Internet Poetry Toad. Great prompt Kerry.

Ed Pilolla said...

this is a cool idea. looking forward to reading them all...

moondustwriter said...

Nice prompt - will be back if that is acceptable to post late ...

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

I am a wee bit late. This wolf does not wear sheep's clothing. And if alive today, I surely hope that he has received help and is no-longer a predator.

Marian said...

not the latest, old raven!
i think i have a few poems on this theme, but here is a new one.

Anonymous said...

i'd never heard of the version where Red is eaten by the wolf and then cut out of him. yuck!

mine's not very good but i had fun. thanks! dani

Sayantini said...

Great prompt. Apologies for my belated comment!