Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Art of Assemblage



I found this unique book about artist, Annie Lockhart. She writes poetry and builds soulful "Objects of Reflection". She talks about gathering elements that resonate with you. Don't we as poets do this to convey a feeling, share our view.  Her art speaks to you in three-dimensional messages. She uses a lot of wire, E6000 glue or Liquid Nails(clear) to artfully arrange  her work.  As I looked further, she shared poems and a lot of them were inspired by her assemblage.  I wonder did the gathering come first or the poem?   Don't worry I am not going into the chicken or the egg theory.  Her process intrigued me.  She also shares with each work of art a list of how the objects were interpreted by her. Her gathered bits are from hardware stores, antique shops, collections, flea markets and yard sales.

Most of us don't have this type of loot to select from.  I do love the idea of taking objects and renaming them, symbols to use in writing a poem. I thought this could add another element to our poetry.  No, you don't have to build an assemblage,  but what you can do is look around your living area. With pen in hand, make a list of some of your beloved items. Do you collect anything? I collect tin containers. Spend a few minutes walking around, any room or rooms of your choice and make a list of 10-12 favorite items.  Rename your objects or add adjectives that describe their meaning. Yes, pen a poem with your list; a list of some of your favorite things.

Here is one of the artist's lists. She chose a word to explain what her objects symbolized:

1. Flowers-bloom
2. Birds-soar
3. Shells-heading south
4. Leaves-new growth
5. Prisms-sunshine and rays of hope
6. Spring-dreams
7. Nest-leaving home
8. Leather purse-many travels and many stories


Her poem:   FLY

new growth is blooming
a rebirthing of letting go
budding branches to
build upon, skies to soar
upward winds rush
with rays of hope
new growth is blooming
heading south, warm
journey to the sea
new seedlings are
showing off
grab your bags
new growth is blooming


13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ella, you always come up with the best ideas. Thank you for sharing this remarkable woman's vision with us. What an excellent foundation for poetic thought.

Ella said...

I was intrigued with the book and then dug further. I was amazed when I saw her creations and then poems!
How inspiring~ I just posted on her blog, perhaps she will visit us!

Thank you Kerry! It felt like fate to find her work of art~

Susie Clevenger said...

Ella, what a wonderful idea. We surround ourselves with things we love. Why not give them a voice? Thank you for introducing us to the visual and literary work of Annie Lockhart.

Marian said...

not sure this is what you had in mind, ella, but it's what my mind had in mind :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Ellie, this is an artist after your own heart - you create the same kind of poetry and art. I am not sure what I will come up with, but will give it a try later today.

Kay L. Davies said...

Fabulous, Ella. I agree with Sherry, you are an artist and a poet, exactly the right person to respond to this kind of prompt! You see things others can easily miss.
I'll be back!

Ostensible Truth said...

how intriguing! I like the idea of this list of things - twisting what they are into new things! great challenge Ella!

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks so much for this clever inspiration, Ella. I enjoyed the exercise and will use it again.

hedgewitch said...

Really an interesting prompt, and I've been playing with it all day--finally came up with something. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oops - the pic has a no entry sign... hope we haven't breach copyright.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have removed the picture and apologize for any infringements.

Ella said...

Oops, Sorry Kerry. I took it from a well regarded site. I even think it is one of the images used to plug the book. Guess not...
This happened on my blog yesterday to a photo of mine, same image.

Thank you to everyone, that gave it a try!
I loved all of your poems!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Well, this is another prompt that went in an entirely different direction than I expected. One of the funny surprises of writing, I suppose...