Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Sunday Challenge ~ Featuring Richard Schear

It is my pleasure to introduce the man we all know as Kay L. Davies' husband, the elusive photographer, Richard Schear.  We have all taken great delight in his work adorning the Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel, so I requested permission to share some of his pictures on Real Toads.  


Richard and Lindy

Richard Schear is a retired school teacher, now selling Registered Education Savings Plans. About 400 of his former students have "friended" him on Facebook, which could mean he taught them well. Or not. He raised four children and four stepchildren. Later in life, he married Kay Davies, who introduced him to scenic photography, now a hobby they share. Richard also referees high school basketball and football.

Richard Schear
I asked Richard to share his favourite poem with us, and he selected Invictus, by William Ernest Henley.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. 


To listen to the poem read by Morgan Freeman, in the movie of the same name, click HERE.


Richard Schear

Richard's scenic photography shows an unerring eye for composition, and a real appreciation of the natural world.


Richard Schear

“If your plan is for one year plant rice. If your plan is for ten years plant trees. If your plan is for one hundred years educate children. ”
― 
Confucius


Richard Schear


Richard has generously offered these beautiful photos for our poetic inspiration.  If you add an image to your post, please acknowledge the name of the artist.

The Sunday Challenge is posted on Saturday at noon CST to allow extra time for the creative process, so please do not link up old work which kind of fits the image.  I will only respond to poetry written specifically for this prompt: this is in the spirit of our Real Toads project to create opportunities for poets to be newly inspired.

    

25 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love Lindy! Stylin' with the little doggy boots!!!

hedgewitch said...

These are really breathtaking shots. I'll see if I can come up with something for tomorrow.

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

Beautiful scenes, wonderful poetry, nice contribution to my day.

Ravenblack said...

Absolutely beautiful photos. I have problems with photo prompts -- they can be so beautiful like these are, they speak on their own!

Marian said...

gorgeous photos! wow.

Maude Lynn said...

What a great eye for composition! These are beautiful. Hopefully, I'll have something by tomorrow.

Cloudia said...

thank you for inspiring us!


Warm Aloha from Hawaii
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

Kerry O'Connor said...

My internet access is very wobbly today for some unknown reason, but I think I have managed to post my poems and link up during the gaps in the gaps transmission.

Kerry O'Connor said...

PS. Poem Number Three is NOT dedicated to the Fireblossom :P

Kerry O'Connor said...

Would other talented photographers out there (like Tina) please note that this is not an open link to share your images, but a challenge for writers to find inspiration to create poetry!

Grace said...

My post is up~

Kerry, maybe we should find another linky that you can remove posts, if the posts are not related to the prompt?

Kerry O'Connor said...

I've removed the word 'photography' from the title, because I think it came up in searches, and could be misconstrued by non-English speakers.

Lolamouse said...

Gorgeous photos! And Lindy is so cute! I can't get my dogs to wear booties.

Fireblossom said...

Kerry...it isn't??? :-P

I am being slowly haiku'd to death this month. Save Fireblossom!

Fireblossom said...

In China, they built a big honking wall,

To keep the haiku in. That's all.

But in recent years, the haiku got out,

Clearly it's part of a communist plot.

Tina´s PicStory said...

sorry, you can delete my link. i didn´t want to go wrong :)

Grace said...

Kerry, your link at PU is not showing your post~

Shay - because there is an ongoing Haiku Challenge that is why ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

I tested the link on PU and it worked for me, Grace and don't worry about Shay, she is haiku challenged!

Fireblossom said...

It's true, I am! :-P

Susie Clevenger said...

What beautiful photos...thanks so much for the inspiration.

Fireblossom, February has only 29 days and we now have six haiku days behind us. I toss in other writings as a life preserver to help you float through a haiku sea :)

Fireblossom said...

Thank you, Susie! :-D

Isadora Gruye said...

i have scrawled out a little something in honor on mongols and silk. viva la

Mary B. Mansfield said...

I gotta echo everyone who loves these photos, so beautiful!

Cad said...

Thank you for featuring a fun photo first. When I saw it yesterday, I knew I'd be back with an offering before too long.
UK is snowy in places at the moment...

Margaret said...

I love photo challenges and am glad I fit this in. Thank you and I'll be back in the morning to read all the other links!