Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Rose Garden ~ For Valentine's Day

Is it possible to write a poem about love without using the word or any of its derivatives?

Gloire de Dijon Rose




Gloire De Dijon by D.H. Lawrence


When she rises in the morning
I linger to watch her;
She spreads the bath-cloth underneath the window
And the sunbeams catch her
Glistening white on the shoulders,
While down her sides the mellow
Golden shadow glows as
She stoops to the sponge, and her swung breasts
Sway like full-blown yellow
Gloire de Dijon roses.


She drips herself with water, and her shoulders
Glisten as silver, they crumple up
Like wet and falling roses, and I listen
For the sluicing of the rain-dishevelled petals.
In the window full of sunlight
Concentrates her golden shadow
Fold on fold, until it glows as
Mellow as the glory roses.




Since this is a special day, and poets' thoughts may turn to perhaps the most extensively explored theme of all-time, I have provided a link for you to share your latest poems.


The only criterion is that the poem be written today: 14 February 2012, but you are welcome to link a poem written for any other hosting site here too.  We would love to see what poems the day has inspired.




13 comments:

Marcoantonio Arellano (Nene) said...

D.H., if you can hear me, this is one of your best poeta's de amor.

Gracias

Janet Martin said...

Margo Roby at Wordgathering is asking for love poem without any terms of endearment or the word 'love'. It works perfectly to link here as well.

Thank-you and to all, Happy Valentine's Day!

Kay L. Davies said...

Happy Valentine's Day to all Real Toads and toad-wannabes and toad fans!
Luv, K

Kerry O'Connor said...

Lawrence's poem got me thinking about the ways we express our joy in another's beauty. I've tried a slightly different angle.. let me know if it works.

Teresa said...

I was annoyed earlier today, so my poem is far from Valentine's Day topic, but it is how I was inspired today. :-)

Laurie Kolp said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Susie Clevenger said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Bodhirose said...

Happy Valentine's Day to all...

Other Mary said...

Thanks and happy Valentine's Day!

Fireblossom said...

I posted mine late on the 13th. I'm disqualified!

Marian said...

aw, yeah. i wrote it today, that's the only criteria? *wink* & LOVE

Ella said...

You all did an amazing job! I'm in awe~ Happy Valentine's Day!

Mary B. Mansfield said...

I think I ended up with a poem that is the antithesis of Valentine's Day, but sometimes ya gotta chase that muse wherever she wants to take you! Hope you all had a great day today :)