Friday, February 17, 2012

A Word with Laurie: Ethereal

Photo by L. Kolp


The spacious firmament on high,
And all the blue ethereal sky,
And spangled heavens, a shining frame
Their great Original proclaim

~Joseph Addison

 Hello all you toads out there! Are you ready for some Friday fun? Well, I sure am. It's been one heck of a week with deadlines and book fairs, school fundraisers and Valentine's Day. Everything seems so ethereal (probably because I'm worn out). It's as if I'm an expressionless genie floating around and filling everyone's wishes.

"Yes, master. Whatever your heart desires."

I had to escape into my genie bottle with my computer in order to get this post completed. sigh.

I’d like you to stretch your imagination and go beyond what is normally considered ethereal. Personify it, use it as a metaphor or allegory. Let these pictures inspire you if you'd like.  Or just use the word ethereal in your piece. Open your eyes, heart and mind to new possibilities and different ways of perceiving things. Have fun.

Photo by L. Kolp
Merriam-Webster defines ethereal as~

1. a: of or relating to the regions beyond the earth, b: CELESTIAL, HEAVENLY, c: UNWORLDLY, SPIRITUAL

2. a: lacking material substance : IMMATERIAL, INTANGIBLE, b: marked by unusual delicacy or refinement , c: suggesting the heavens or heaven

3. relating to, containing, or resembling a chemical ether

Photo by L. Kolp


As always link your poem and leave a comment. Then visit others who have done the same. Please don't link a poem unless it goes with the topic. Thank you!

Poof! I'm off to rest on a cloud for awhile and then I'll float away to paradise. Don't worry, though; I'll return to see what you've come up with.

14 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Janet Martin said...

So much ethereal beauty...and confusion;))
Thank-you for this prompt Laurie. I like this word.

Ella said...

I went on an ethereal journey, but switched it up...it is zany! It was fun to write and think sister like.
I don't have a sister...
Happy Friday everyone! Fun prompt Laurie :D

Herotomost said...

Not sure if I hit this one...but I tried...let the beatings begin.

Marian said...

aw, thanks for this, laurie. it blended perfectly with what i was writing today. :)

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks for taking part!

Mary said...

Thanks, Laurie, for the prompt. I have been doing a lot of serious thinking lately, so this prompt took me in a serious direction on a subject that may not be everyone's 'cup of tea.'

Mary said...

I just want to add that it is hard to write poetry with new puppy energy. Lordie, Tulip and Violet are calm in comparison to Basil. But Basil IS getting it. It is a toss up what I love more - poetry or dogs. LOL.

Grace said...

I love your take Mary.

Laurie, I am writing haiku everyday for another site. But I thought of your prompt and incorporated it within the subject.

Just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your post...

Gattina said...

I think that's too difficult for me English is not my mother tongue !

Laurie Kolp said...

Thanks, Grace.

Fireblossom said...

Sorry to be late to the party!

Anonymous said...

I love this word!

Anonymous said...

sorry i wasn't on time! this was too good to pass up on though! thanks, Laurie.