Friday, June 15, 2012

Dreams and Nightmares

Greetings Toads and Friends,

This is Mary doing another Mary's Mixed Bag.  I hope you all realize how much I look forward to doing these prompts once a month.  I think I have a winner of a poetry prompt for you today.  I hope you find it a winner too.

Think of a dream/ nightmare you have had either in the past or relatively recently. In the first stanza(s), share this dream / nightmare with us  in as much detail as you can muster.  Embellish it, if you wish. 

Oh, I bet she is dreaming a dream she doesn't wish to end!


Yikes, this is a scene from a nightmare for sure!


 If you are a non-dreamer or want a different option, create a dream/nightmare.  Perhaps it even has a heavy dose of reality.  (Natural disasters are 'nightmares,' aren't they?  Falling in love may be a 'dream.'  Driving in rush hour traffic may be a 'nightmare.')

 Then in the following stanza or stanzas, react to this dream/ nightmare in some way: Interpret it, argue with it, tell it off, write its opposite, or..........   From that point on, go where you want to. Back into the dream, or out! Maybe you can even make your wildest dream come true  or conquer the nightmare demon!

Enjoy!



 I am really looking forward to reading what you come up with.  Use Mr. Linky below.  Then be sure to leave a comment.

Oh, and most important, visit others who respond here.  I will.  Will you?

18 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, very interesting idea, Mary. I like the idea of talking back to the nightmare.
K

Fireblossom said...

I often write from dreams. I'll do something for this tonight!

Daydreamertoo said...

Very interesting prompt Mary.
Can't believe I'm first to post. That's a first LOL

Mary said...

Looking forward to reading everyone's writing. I am away from home, so it may take me until early Sunday, worst case scenario. Enjoy.

Susan said...

I posted something older that is on my mind and a little nightmarish, but also funny. I'll try for a new poem later.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Great prompt, Mary. I will be back!

Marian said...

yes, i write my dreams when i remember them, which is not very often. will need to either think about this or dream! :)

Mary B. Mansfield said...

Great prompt! This one should be a lot of fun...something about nightmares seems to be right up my alley lately.

Peggy said...

Excellent prompt Mary. I used to remember my dreams much better than I do now. I am going to have to dig for this one! And then of course there is the make one up option! Thanks.

Other Mary said...

I don't have nightmares often, but being a good little toad (apparently) I had one last night. How handy! Thanks Mary!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great prompt. I've been so busy doing stuff, I just don't have tie.
Retirement isn't for chumps!
Greetings from Cottage Country!

Hannah said...

Late to all the parties this week it seems but better that than never...I suppose! I look forward to visiting real toads in their dreams-capes! Thank you, Mary, for the prompt!

Fireblossom said...

I spent an hour trying to write for this tonight, but I couldn't. I'll try again over the weekend.

Kay L. Davies said...

I wasn't sure what I could do, but late in the midnight hour, I came up with two of them.
K

Helen said...

I love writing from dreams! I also love R.E.M. ~ this is a combo poem! ... and a great prompt.

Susie Clevenger said...

Hey Mary, great prompt. I am late but I made it.

my heart's love songs said...

i hope i didn't extend an invitation by putting my nightmare in writing. {smile}

Mary B. Mansfield said...

I'm definitely a bit late for this party, but better late than never!