Friday, May 3, 2013

Transforming Friday


Hello Toad friends!!

It’s Hannah here with your ninth and final ecoregion. The challenge is to transform your poetic voice into that of the wildlife from the Tropical Rain Forest!

Old treasured words, “Classics Edition of the World Atlas-Hammond 1967,” says Tropical Rain Forest: Trees over one hundred feet high form a canopy above dense, steaming undergrowth in which rubber, teak, mahogany, bamboo and balsa grow.

(Wiki Creative Commons Attribute Author=Mikenorton 
Rainforest canopy at the Forestry
Research Institute Malaysia)

Some information I pooled from the handy-dandy Wikipedia...

Tropical rainforests have existed on Earth for hundreds of millions of years.

They have been called the "jewels of the Earth" and the "world's largest pharmacy", because over one quarter of natural medicines have been discovered within them.[8] It is likely that there may be many millions of species of plants, insects and microorganisms still undiscovered in tropical rainforests, (wiki).

There are four different types of rainforest: Lowland equatorial evergreen rain forests, Moist deciduous and semi-evergreen seasonal forests, Montane rain forests and Flooded forests.

The rainforest has an interesting structure that’s broken into layers: Forest Floor, Understory Layer, Canopy Layer and Emergent Layer.

Different types of animals reside in these different layers that I’ve listed. Here’s a general list of tropical wildlife to pick from, (check copyrights for the images you choose).

Oh, I love monkeys!! These two are so intent in sharing a meal!

(Wiki cca author=cc-by-2.5 Cebus apella group. Capuchin Monkeys Sharing)

There’re so many amazing species of tropical birds you could browse but in the meantime you could enjoy this movie I watched recently.

It’s an inspiring film about the Harpy, a Jungle Eagle on MPBN.

(Wiki cca Harpy Eagle -- Camino del Oleoducto, Parque Nacionale Soberania, Panama -- )

One could write from the perspective of this intriguing creature, the Koala Bear.

(Wiki cca Author=Diliff "Photo by DAVID ILIFF. License: CC-BY-SA 3.0")


Please write something fresh and new for this challenge and be sure to swing from your rainforest vine to find your near and dear rainforest writing friends!!


Smiles and happy writing to everyone!

16 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

Yeah! I am first! Happy Friday everyone! Love the prompt Hannah. I have been to the rainforest in Panama and Costa Rica. It was an amazing adventure.

Vandana Sharma said...

The theme is just awesome, I love nature and tropical rain forests are just abundantly flowing...so, here is my take" Jungle Bumble"

Ella said...

I love Koalas! I use to have posters and stuffed ones, when I was my daughter's age. ;D

Thanks Hannah for reminding me of happy memories!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such an inspiring topic for poetry, Hannah. I am sorry to be feeling totally brain dead today. I do hope to write something before the weekend is over.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there were 4 different types of rain forests. What a neat idea for a challenge. I'll work on this and see if I can come up with anything. If so, I'll be back with a link to share.

hedgewitch said...

A wonderful and informative challenge, as always, Hannah. Thanks for all the time and work you put into these posts--I always learn something. After doing the April challenge, I am pretty flat right now, but if something should bubble up, I will be back.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Hannah, for a quick trip back to the land of my soul, Puerto Rico, which indeed has a rain forest. Lex is taking me to lunch, then BACK to see you all! Con amor, Amelita

Vandana Sharma said...

Posting another of my poem, has
d written it when I was in high school. Just remembered it and hence posting it.It is a bit kiddish though , but the message is relevant.

Thanks

Margaret said...

Is this the last "transforming" challenge? I wish these would continue... I love this series.

Maude Lynn said...

Thank you, Hannah, for providing me with a much needed poetry break. I'm still spending most of my time at the hospital with my mom. I hope to visit everyone soon!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Hannah, I am very late seeing this, as I worked all day and will tomorrow too. But when I can devote some proper time to it, I will write to this, even if I am woefully late, as I always enjoy your transforming Fridays. I will miss them, I must say. I love visiting other areas in my mind (which is the only way I can afford to travel:))

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hannah will be back next month with her new ventures for her Transforming series! We all love the chance to think about nature and conservation and she will continue to inspire us in this direction.

Fireblossom said...

I want to be an anteater! or a leopard! or...!!!

I will work on this tomorrow!

Fireblossom said...

I'm late but I'm here. :-)

Hannah said...

Wow. Sorry for being M.I.A. Thank you all so much for your interest in the challenge...your creative responses and comment here are such a joy to find!!

Thank you, Kerry for stepping in to comment on the question...I had total intentions of posting a comment here regarding that as I know many of you really do enjoy this challenge and I didn't want any one to worry. I forgot to pop in and do so though...hmm so it goes.

I've been around to read many of you and will continue to do so as the poem come in...always feel free to arrive late to any party, I often do!!

Smiles to all the poetical peeps!! :)

Hannah said...

It appears I have problems with plurals tonight...forgive my silly typos... :)