Saturday, May 31, 2014

Flash Fiction 55







Yes, today is the day, toads and toadettes, followers and friends, that we provide a platform for the internet writing meme known as Flash Fiction 55. We are following in the tire-tracks of the G-Man,   (MrKnowitall) who for seven years gave us the Friday 55 prompt. While the Imaginary Garden is unable to host this meme every Friday as G-man did, we will have it up on every Saturday of the first weekend of every month, hosted alternately by Fireblossom and Mama Zen.  I am here today (and tomorrow) standing in as your occasional substitute,/back-up host, hedgewitch.

The rules are simple. Write a poem, prose poem, or piece of flash fiction which uses exactly 55 words to tell its story. Not 54, not 56. You get the drift. I will be around to applaud your efforts, then book in the approved fashion.

The subject is your own choice, and you can use a poetic form, write a short story or just simply a bit of free verse, so long as it contains exactly 55 words. This is not always as easy as it sounds, but it's almost always much more fun.

You may not be able to drive 55, (or have hair this 80's) but trust me, you can write it.



After you've written your Flash of genius, link up below, and do some pond-hopping to see what others have come up with. I'll be around to see the results--and remember, the challenge is up for the whole weekend, so don't hesitate to post Sunday if Saturday is booked up for you.




Image: 55 Chevy Truck wallpaper, via carpaper.net

15 comments:

Scarlet said...

Thanks for hosting HW ~ Wishing you all happy weekend ~

Grace

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks for hosting FF55 in such grand style, Hedge.

hedgewitch said...

My pleasure--plus it got me to write something, so it's all extra good.

Anonymous said...

Hey Hedge--love the pics in your post, and loved your own 55--you have a gift for these--coming up with something terrifically lyrical--I like my last minute drawing--the poem, well--at least, It IS 55 words. K.

brudberg said...

Hi all, a 55 word challenge cannot be be missed .. despite the fact I will be travelling all day tomorrow.. bear with me in coming back to you... I will be travelling all day tomorrow..

Fireblossom said...

Thanks for stepping in, Hedge! And you did so with a lot of style and panache! Got to love that song.

I will write for this at some point, but it might have to be tomorrow. :-)

hedgewitch said...

No problem--I'm here all weekend. ;_)

Margaret said...

Awesome. I'll be back later on Sunday.

Other Mary said...

Thanks for hosting the 55 Hedge. And thanks for reminding us all on facebook. I'm a little rusty since April. For awhile there I worried that I'd used up my quota of words, but I did manage to find another 55. :o)

Hannah said...

Perfect for the day...thank you for bringing and hosting the challenge,Hedge!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hedge, I managed to scratch something together. Won't promise that it's better than nothing... ~

hedgewitch said...

Thanks , grapes. I liked it a lot, and Mary, too--appreciate the effort of hauling on the bucket when the well feels dry, believe me.

And thanks to all who've played so far. I'll be back to check out any additional entries this evening.

Kay L. Davies said...

This is a tough challenge for me, Hedge, I don't count well.
It is 55 words, but it isn't fiction.
Thanks for the challenge, though, it distracted me from worrying.
K

Jim said...

I'm liking the Flash Fiction. Fifty-five is a nice number, I like your Chevy.
..

Lydia said...

Hey Hedge....I posted even later than Sunday, as I was confused about that first Saturday thingy this month. Promise not to be late again. Happy June!