Monday, May 12, 2014

Open Link Monday

Welcome to the Imaginary Garden ...

photo credit: Tjflex2 via photopin cc 

In browsing for a pithy quote about the art of poetry, I came across the following advice from children's poet, Charles Ghigna:

Poem-Making 101.
Poetry shows. Prose tells.
Choose precise, concrete words.
Remove prose from your poems.
Use images that evoke the senses.
Avoid the abstract, the verbose, the overstated.
Trust the poem to take you where it wants to go.
Follow it closely, recording its path with imagery.

I think the idea of trusting the poem, in the second to last line, is a big one for me, although I confess to being abstract, verbose and overstated, at times. (Oops)

Do you have a poem you would like to share with us today? Our Monday forum provides the opportunity to link up a poem of your choice, and to gather in a meeting place of like minds to enjoy the results of "Poem-Making".


19 comments:

Jinksy said...

Verbose and over stated? You're talking about me, but boy, how I love all those words!!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerrie, good lead, can we ever abandon poetry 101 for 202? I doubt it, though our work must exceed the knowable boundaries ...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kerrie, good lead, can we ever abandon poetry 101 for 202? I doubt it, though our work must exceed the knowable boundaries ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry, when I call poems drafts it is mainly this business of going on too long and being too prosaic! Thanks. Hope all is well with you. K.

Susan said...

I trusted this poem and went with it, but still hope to cut it in half sideways.

Gail said...

What wonderful advice.

When I "trust the poem" and ignore myself the result is much much more than it could have been with me alone.

Gail said...

I'm connected but is such a let down after yesterday's Seraphine.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Today I am sharing the reading of my anthology of four poems, Song of No Man's Land.

I warn ahead that the recording is about 7 minutes long and not for the faint of heart but I would be happy to know how the whole hangs together.

Thanks.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I love that description of the difference between poetry and prose. I need to trust the poem more too. :)

Marian said...

good morning, dear friends! good afternoon, Kerry! hope all is well for everyone today. xo

Carrie Van Horn said...

Happy Monday everyone....I am sharing what I actually did for the lace prompt....but I love this post...trust the poem...what a simple truth so often forgotten.
:-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Susan, the poem you linked here "does not exist".

Susie Clevenger said...

I am forever learning. Not sure I will ever get out of poetry 101. Happy Monday! Hope everyone has a great week!

Fireblossom said...

What a gorgeous butterfly!

Susan said...

Kerry, the right link is http://susanspoetry.blogspot.com/2014/05/to-be-alone.html.
(Just in case my removal/add didn't work!)

Thank you for checking.

Susan said...

PS: the revision is under the picture.

Other Mary said...

Thank you for the open link. :o)

lynn__ said...

My poem is about "trusting the poem"...and how elusive our thoughts can be. I'm a day late but glad to participate :)

Amy Burzese said...

I don't have a poem, but that's a beautiful butterfly.