Saturday, October 25, 2014

Play it Again, Toads #10

Welcome to the 10th "Play it Again, Toads!"  Time to revisit and replay archived challenges.  Choose your own (see sidebar 2011-2014) or select from the three I have highlighted below.   Please, original  poems for this challenge and link your specific post to Mr. Linky at the bottom of the page.  Make it clear which challenge you are resurrecting by including a link.  Thank you, and I look forward to reading your poems.

He's here because - well - he's cute
1)  Dance the Night Away, the Waltz Wave Form presented by Kerry O'Connor

2)  Hallow's Edge presented by Ella

3)  Dylan Thomas - presented by Kerry O'Connor. This was for a "Toad's Favo(u)rite Poem, but I thought it might be fun to explore writing a poem using the technique described in this post.

- - - - -

If you like, you may use my photos - if you do, please combine them with an archived challenge.   The photos are of a Virginia Blue Ridge Mountain Farm - located just beneath Humpback Mountain.   By sighting the mountain's large rocky outcrop, early teamsters traveling the old Howardsville Turnpike gauged their progress.

This was originally a Land Grant tract dispensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to induce pioneers to settle and establish the border of the Western Frontier.   Often rich bottom land was either not available or too expensive.  A mountain plot could yield a diversity of crops that made it possible to sustain a balanced, if sometimes thin, diet.  Hard work and cooperation substituted for wealth in making this land productive enough to support families and communities.  Life usually centered around two things:  religion, and the growth and harvesting of crops.  Every fall neighbors came together to assist one another in harvesting corn and apples, in gather and butchering hogs to send to market, and joining the social activities after the work was done.


herb garden out the cabin's back door and chicken coop 
Sears Roebuck Catalogue


Barn and to the right a "bear proof pigpen" for razorback hogs

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

What an amazing lifestyle! Makes me realize that modern conveniences have left us impoverished in many ways.

hedgewitch said...

Those are *such* striking photos, Margaret. I am not sure if I can write anything, but you really make me want to--great selection of 'play it agains' too.

Grace said...

I adore your pictures Margaret ~ I will browse over the links again and see what comes up ~ Happy weekend to all ~

brudberg said...

Wonderful pictures.. I adore old houses.. though I understand it could have been harsh to live there.. I envy the beauty if simplicity..

Catherine said...

Wonderful, cozy and heartwarming photos. Catherine

Ella said...

I love your photos and gave Kerry's prompt of Dylan Thomas, a try!

Thank you, Margaret n' Kerry!!

Hannah said...

I love the images, Margaret...so Little House on the Prairie!

Thank you for the challenge(s).

Happy Weekend! :)

Anonymous said...

Margaret, we recently visited a restored historic village up north in Wisconsin. I could almost feel folks around us, a good feeling. The struggles of simply fetching water, those things we take for granted... amazing pictures.

I went to Ella's prompt (thanks, babe, I'm too scared to go to bed now! LOL) about ghost stories and this one is TRUE and still happening to me. Bizarre but kind of cool in a goosepimply way! Peace, and nice to see y'all, haven't been doing much blogging. Came right here. Love you all madly, Amy

Isadora Gruye said...

thanks so much for the play it again! It inspired me to actually complete a piece in a series which I have been working on for sometime.

Susie Clevenger said...

What beautiful photos Margaret. There are times I grieve what we have lost in "progress."

humbird said...

These photos look and feel like something sacred... ~ thank you, Margaret/Kerry for introducing new for me Waltz Wave form. I love it and give it a try. x

Grandmother Mary said...

Ella's prompt intrigues me- I'm in. But these photos are wonderful as well. Thanks, Margaret.

ZQ said...

My kind of life. :-)
Awesome and well kept!
ZQ

Margaret said...

THANK YOU, all! I had a very busy "theatre" weekend. Two children in plays … "Learned Ladies" by Molier and "Alice in Wonderland" I won't' be able to catch up with commenting and visiting until Monday evening.

Margaret said...

… OK. Make that Wednesday morning ;P

Archer's Bones said...

I fretted between my history-student interest in the photos, and the impression they gave me of a museum display rather than a living, breathing place... and there, found inspiration.