Saturday, August 15, 2015

Weekend Mini Challenge - Poetry Time!


“Had we but world enough and time,” 

“Oh let not time deceive you,
you cannot conquer time.”

“And Time, that gave, doth now his gift confound.”
William Shakespeare, Sonnet 60.

"To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven:"

“It is at the edges
that time thins.”
Kay Ryan

To think of time—of all that retrospection!


Poets have been writing about time since, well, their beginning.  

And, Toads, there’s still time for us to join in.   Because, as T.S. Eliot wrote, "there will be time to murder and create."  (Only today I'd prefer you to focus on the second of those activities.)



  (And please don’t tell me you don't have time for this, because Eliot has also assured me that there will be "time for you and time for me/and time yet for a hundred indecisions/and for a hundred visions and revisions.”)

So, seriously, take some time.  Sneak it, if necessary--the link for this prompt will not expire--let yourself just do some visioning and revisioning. 

As always, I mean this prompt to be as broad as possible.  Use time as your portal, your watchword, but do not feel the need to actually use the word in your poem.



Please also feel free to think about time in any of its many aspects--time as a concept;  time passing, that time you did such and such; good times, bad times; time as an era in your life or the life of the planet (i.e. the time of the Renaissance or of the mastodon); a timed test, timed bake, time travel, a timepiece, a time of peace, a wrinkle in, tempus fugit (time flies), or as Terry Pratchett’s character Nanny Ogg likes to say “tempus fuggit”-- (not quite the same thing.) 






Most importantly, have a great time writing your piece and in thoughtfully visiting the work of others.   

Final note--Manicddaily/Outlawyer/Karin Gustafson here.  All the photos are mine--feel free to use one with proper attribution (i.e. to me, and in the case of the top one, Pearl)--thanks.  Please also, for further inspiration, check out the links!  




22 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I always tell my students: "Time is your biggest enemy in an exam. Don't run out of it."

Thanks for a great challenge, Karin.

Outlawyer said...

Ha. That is absolutely true--and it can be almost as bad if they rush through too fast--Thank you, Kerry. k.

Blogoratti said...

Hello, a wonderful prompt about time indeed, thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

Thank you, for the inspiration, Karen! Your rainbow image was serendipity for me today...I wrote a line this morning that fits it almost perfectly! :)

Outlawyer said...

So glad, Hannah. k.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hello everyone,

Hope you're enjoying the weekend! Sharing a short but romantic perspective on time, tried writing a Cinquain. Hope you all like it :D

Thank you Karin for this wonderful opportunity :D

Lots of love,
Sanaa

C.C. said...

Great prompt this Saturday....thanks :-)

Outlawyer said...

Thanks, C.C., Sanaa. k.

Sumana Roy said...

Thanks for the wonderful prompt Karin :)

brudberg said...

Ha, I always have time... coming in a little later than usual.. time is sand I think....

Grace said...

Love the quotes and pictures Karin ~ Have a lovely Sunday everyone ~

Outlawyer said...

Hi all, I will be a little late with mine, but will try to get around to visit. k.

Fireblossom said...

This virgin has made much of time... (Sorry, Herrick.)

Oh, I crack myself up.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great challenge...I have written lots of poems about time. It was a challenge for me to speak of time without using the word, but I think I accomplished it.

Outlawyer said...

Hey Shay, Susie--Love Herrick. No requirement not to use the word time, just allowing for more openness--but terrific if you didn't use it as well. k.

Lolamouse said...

Cool prompt! I apologize for my lack of presence of late. New Director at work and the schedule has been ghastly!

Outlawyer said...

So sorry, Lola! k.

Anonymous said...

I wrote about "that one time" in the middle of many times we directed summer camp.

Other Mary said...

Love it - thanks Karin.

Susmit said...

Nice catching up, after a haul!

Maude Lynn said...

Better late than never!

Outlawyer said...

Great.