Thursday, August 20, 2015

Bits of Inspiration ~ The Photography of Douglas Salisbury

Douglas Salisbury

Photo and Verse - Douglas Salisbury

“A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.” - Ansel Adams

That quote is so true, but we who write poetry can find words when there are none. Today I am honored to provide the photography of my friend, Douglas Salisbury, as inspiration for your verses. Douglas is an awarding winning photographer living in Beaumont, Texas. He often writes and speaks of life as an adventure which is reflected through his work with a lens. 

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

"Look, the trees are turning their own bodies into pillars  of light"
In Blackwater Woods - Mary Oliver

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

"The Lighthouse lifts its massive masonry,
  A pillar of fire by night, of cloud by day."
The Lighthouse - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

“If you take a flower in your hand and really look at it,
 it's your world for a moment.” ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

“In order to see birds it is necessary to become a part of the silence.”
― Robert Lynd

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

“My truck is the size of a green wheelbarrow full of dead horsepower.
 I dug it up in the cemetery.
”  ― Jarod Kintz, Sleepwalking is restercise

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

"When I have a camera in my hand, I know no fear."
 Alfred Eisenstaedt 

Photo - Douglas Salisbury

“Time goes faster the more hollow it is.
 Lives with no meaning go straight past you, 
like trains that don’t stop at your station.”

― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

I must admit I am a bit starstruck by Douglas Salisbury's talent to capture such incredible images. You can find more of his work at Moments Captured Photography.

For today's challenge choose a photograph and its companion quote (optional) and write an original poem.  Remember to credit Douglas if you use one of his photographs in in your post, add your poem to Mr. Linky, and visit your fellow poets to read their work.


17 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

I am really excited to showcase the photography of my friend, Douglas Salisbury.

brudberg said...

I always love picture prompts... my favorite kind almost, will have to browse through his pictures and find one. I will not be posting until tomorrow though since I'm hosting OLN tonight.

hedgewitch said...

These are just awe-inspiring photos, Susie. As you know I am not writing atm, but it is a pure pleasure to see work of this caliber--what talent Mr Salisbury has. Thanks for showcasing him here at the Garden.

Fireblossom said...

These are excellent!

Maude Lynn said...

Really beautiful photographs!

Hannah said...

Thank you, for the inspiration, Susie. :)

Other Mary said...

Great photos Susie! Thank you for introducing us to this talented friend of yours.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ooooh! I love photo challenges. Thanks to Douglas for sharing!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hey everyone,

Hope you're having a wonderful week so far, sharing my poem "The Lighthouse" hope you guys like it :D

Thank you Susie for sharing these photos of Douglas, they are beautiful :D

Lots of love,
Sanaa

Nancy Chan said...

Hi Susie, I enjoy these beautiful photos. I would love to join but I am not good with words.

Margaret said...

What a nice challenge! I don't think I will be able to write (I still have commenting to do and poems to read) as I am in the middle of a move! We sold our house and must be OUT in a few days - movers come Monday and Tuesday. So, I will have to take a rain check. But thank you for hosting!

Anya Padyam said...

What fabulous images! simply speechless and the verses that went along with them - just perfect!

very inspiring; thank you for the images and the words!

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks everyone for your support and beautiful poetry!

Margaret, oh my moving is so much stress. Perhaps you can visit Douglas's work another time to find inspiration for a poem.

Nancy, it is so nice to see you in the garden. I think each of us who post here have felt at times we aren't good with words.

grapeling said...

sorry for being late, Susie. cool photos ~

Outlawyer said...

Thanks, Susie. k.

Unknown said...

Lovely pictures

rudraprayaga said...

Words seem insufficient to comment.Beautiful.