Thursday, February 11, 2016

Fireblossom Friday: The Red Wheelbarrow

"The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams

so much depends 
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

Yeah, well. Sorry, WCW, but I've never liked your famous poem very much. Oh, it's nice enough as far as it goes; a nicely depicted Still Life With Wheelbarrow. Next.

But, ne'er let it be said (did you like my use of the very poetic "ne'er" there?) that Fireblossom isn't open to being proven wrong, or goofy in the head, or something.

So, your challenge is to write a new poem with the opening "So much depends upon...." and take it from there. That's it! No haiku. 

15 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

Just don't eat my damn plums!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Well, I love it!

humbird said...

Thanks! It helped to reflect ...

Hannah said...

Thank you, Shay...I'd been wanting to do this...I'd seen the same poem elsewhere recently and was liking that opening line!

Margaret said...

...an attempt at humor. Thanks, Shay, for an interesting and unique challenge.

Susie Clevenger said...

Thanks for the challenge Shay. I had never heard of the poem.

brudberg said...

I like the red wheel barrow.. but my favorite imagirst poem is by Ezra Pound (a poet I otherwise dislike)

In a Station of the Metro

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

But I guess these imagirst poems can be uncomfortably close to haiku :-)

Marian said...

Love it.

Gillena Cox said...

Have a good weekend rolling in red wheelbarrow poems, thanks to Fireblossom

much love...

De Jackson said...

I LOVE this prompt, Shay. Thank you!
Have you read Love That Dog, by Sharon Creech? It made me LOVE WCW's Wheelbarrow poem. So much.

Outlawyer said...

Hey Shay--this is a lovely prompt and loved your poem. I wrote a draft but have been very busy and don't know whether I can work on it enough to get up. Thank you very much though. k.

brudberg said...

A second one.... just for fun (just a poem that sounds the same)

Fireblossom said...

Pardon my slowness, but I *will* get around to everyone this weekend. For those who so kindly asked, Skittles seems to be on the mend. :-)

Outlawyer said...

Hey Shay--hope Skittles fine soon. That is stressful. I come in under the wire as it were. Take care, k.

Jennifer Wagner said...

Really late with my entry, but still wanted to participate. Glad Skittles is mending. :-)