Thursday, July 21, 2016

Transforming with Nature's Wonders

Hello, it's Hannah here with an opportunity to write poetry through the eyes of Nature...

A totem is a spirit being, sacred object, or symbol of a tribe, clan, family or individual. Native American tradition provides that each individual is connected with nine different animals that will accompany each person through life, acting as guides, (excerpt from Native American Legends).

“The true shaman, the true naturalist, works to reconnect conscious human life with Nature and Spirit through totems and ritual.” ― Ted Andrews, Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small

“If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. — Chief Dan George” 

This week I have had the dragonfly arrive in my realm in a way that has felt significant. As I sat at a stoplight on Monday one came and hovered above my hood and left four times and the last time it appeared to be looking through the window at me…I said I see you, what do you want to tell me? It didn't come back after I addressed it...it was like it wanted to be sure I had seen it. I’ve been noticing them on my walks a lot this week and today while I was at my children’s new school another mother, who I had just been speaking with, got in her car and her license plate was drgnfly! Interesting, I think.

(By André Karwath aka Aka - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.5, 
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=226067)

Here’s one of the meanings I found…

“The dragonfly and damselfly reflect and work with the sun and light. The light changes throughout the day. The dragonfly and damselfly undergo their own transformations. If they have shown up, look for change to occur. Are you resisting change when you shouldn’t? Dragonflies remind us that we are light and can reflect the light in powerful ways if we choose to do so. “Let there be light” is the divine prompting to use the creative imagination as a force within your life. This is part of what dragonflies and damselflies teach us.” ― Ted AndrewsAnimal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small

I invite you to check out this article from, NATIVE AMERICANLEGENDS – Native American Totem Animals & Their Meanings. It provides a general background and list of animals. Some might be familiar with this topic…some may already be acquainted with their animal totem(s). You may browse the list and choose an animal that speaks to you personally, either a favorite or through past experiences.

The list offers some of the Animal Characteristics & Meanings…Please include these in some way…either directly as a word list or indirectly as a feeling or metaphor.

Create something new, link up and then enjoy your poetic friends offerings as well. This challenge will be up for two days so feel free to link as many as you like!


Thank you, so much for joining in! 

19 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Whoaaaaaaa, i luv this

much love...

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome post/prompt, Hannah. I love your story about the dragonfly. That is pure nature-magic.

Hannah said...

Oh, good, Gillena...so glad you like this and piano warm as well...thank you so much for enjoying the prompt!

Looking forward to reading everyone! :)'s and happy weekend to everyone!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I always love your prompts, Hannah. They speak to me. I am off to write....ow-woo!

Bekkie Sanchez said...

This is the best! I love Native American traditions, artwork and all! Can't wait to get to work on this Hannah. I may do more than one!

I enjoyed your story of the dragonfly, how cool is that? I love them they are like little helicopters. Lol!

I have so many animals I feel close to. Horses, cats, crows and more. I think in these days (especially in the cities) people are not as connected with animals as they used to be. A real shame. Only by riding my bike do I see animals in the wild anymore.

Hugs! Bekkie

hedgewitch said...

An excellent prompt, Hannah, but one which is similar, though far from identical, to an old one of Shay's, for which I wrote a poem on this same subject. I did repost the poem, but since it's not new, I'm not linking it.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

BTW I meant to comment on the sites new look. I like it!

Kerry O'Connor said...

The universe definitely has a message for you, Hannah.

Thanks for setting us in the path of nature's wonders again!

brudberg said...

Oh I will try to write something here... having my own Fylgja in my name it should be easy... But I will come back later...

Stacie Eirich said...

Oh my this is wonderful! Nature, animals, magic & wonder---I am late in coming to this today and am reading in a quick moment on the bench at the park, where my children & I have just been observing butterflies and a large blue dragonfly! Our world never ceases to amaze me - nature and her creatures are surely the most sacred magic.

Stacie Eirich said...

Really enjoyed reading all the poems for this so far! I've linked up two different poems, because I feel my totem is both tiger (cat) and butterfly, and I have poems for both. Sorry if this breaks rules, delete if need be - or only respond to the one your heart takes you to. Thanks for the lovely prompt Hannah!

Ginny Brannan said...

I have shared here before, though it has been awhile, mostly because life has a way lately of eating up all my spare time! I had written something about what I believe my "totem" or spirit animal is a short time ago. My dear friend Mary remembered and suggested I stop by and share here. I will come 'round and read and comment on all the others. Thanks for stopping by and sharing a thought on mine, if you so choose!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I have combined mine with the prompt for twitter poems at dVerse today – so it might seem rather weird! But I do have the totems I describe.

Outlawyer said...

Not sure mine is quite right but there it is. Thanks. k.

Hannah said...

Oh, Hedge...I don'
t mind a little rule bending...trust me...;) Link it up...either way I'll come find your poem...always happy to read you!

Stacie...link as many as you like...I love it!!


Ginny, I'm so glad you were led to share your totem poem here...thank you!

Thank you, Kerry! ♥

Loved your poems Bekkie and Sherry!!

Karen...whatever you offer will be perfect...so glad you linked up!

Looking forward to my time reading you all this morning...really such a gift and a blessing. Smiles and a happy day to everyone!

Hannah said...

I love that your name holds your spirit animal Bjorn!! LOVE your poem...thank you!

Susie Clevenger said...

Mine's a bit Gothic...Love the prompt Hannah!

Margaret said...

late to the table - so I linked it with "Play it Again" as well. I will be back later tonight to read and comment - too nice of a summer day to be inside.

Fireblossom said...

My brain is melted from the heat, but i really want to do this. I will try!