Thursday, October 20, 2016

Kerry Says ~ It's Blowing in the Wind

On Thursday, October 13, Bob Dylan became the first song-writer to be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, ‘having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition.’ Dylan is the only artist to have won a Grammy, Golden Globe, Pulitzer, Polar, Oscar and the Nobel Prize.

'Don't Look Back', Bob Dylan, 1967, Everett/Rex, Shutterstock


For more than six decades he has remained a mythical force in music, his gravelly voice and poetic lyrics musing over war, heartbreak, betrayal, death and moral faithlessness in songs that brought beauty to life’s greatest tragedies. Read more HERE.

Blowin' in the Wind

Bob Dylan, 1962

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannonballs fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Our Challenge today is to select a line or lines from the work of Bob Dylan, and use it as the spring-board for a poem. The words themselves do not have to be included in the body of the poem, but merely as a reference, but I leave the creative decision-making up to each writer. 
For the remainder of the words to Blowin' in the Wind and the lyrics to other songs, click HERE.

The following clip features a 'Top Ten' of Dylan's songs.






11 comments:

Buddah Moskowitz said...

You're kidding, I'm first? Where is everyone?

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Was there a nuclear apocalypse I didn't hear about?

Kerry O'Connor said...

Hi Buddha, thanks for playing today. I'm afraid I have been out all evening and it's close to midnight so I will save my reading for tomorrow.

Susie Clevenger said...

I'm here Buddha...Great prompt Kerry!

brudberg said...

I do love this.. I will write an additional one .... a line is a forceful thing to use a springboard... to his prices you can add the Polar Prize just to make it complete.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ah.. thanks for that Bjorn. I set this challenge the day he won the Nobel.. but perhaps everyone has already had their say on this theme.

brudberg said...

I will do one more... :-) did three last week... just have to find the best line ever.

Kim M. Russell said...

Sorry I'm late - I don't see the challenges until the following day and I was out all day yesterday! Better late than never!

Outlawyer said...

Hey Kerry--I've written a couple different things for this and hope to get one up. Thanks for great challenge. k.

Fireblossom said...

What an excellent and timely challenge. I hope I am not too late.

Gillena Cox said...

Nice one!!!

Have a good Sunday everyone

much love...