Thursday, March 9, 2017

Synesthesia

Can you taste a three? What color is a bird song? If you had ready answers for that you may have synesthesia. It’s a quirk in human neurology where a link occurs between the senses, so that when you experience something with one of your senses, you also have an additional sensory response, either in the same sense or a different one. Someone with synesthesia might see the number 7 as always being orange, or experience the taste of lemons when they hear a musical note. Here’s a video to explain the phenomena further (and test to see if you are a synesthete):




If you have synesthesia, this prompt will be easy. Compose a poem based around your personal perceptions of joined sensory experiences. If you don’t have synesthesia, then give some thought to what it might be like. What does a sunrise taste like? Does the sound of crickets have a tactile feel? The choice of what senses and stimuli to link is entirely up to you. Just be sure to create a new poem for this prompt and visit the other poets taking on this challenge to enjoy a new view of the world through their senses. 

13 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

Hi Rommy! I love your prompt. I can't find Mister Linky so here is my link:
https://writinginnorthnorfolk.com/2017/03/09/words-in-my-mouth/

Marian said...

Hi Rommy, I added Mr. Linky and linked up Kim's post. Very cool prompt!!

Rommy said...

ARGH! I am so sorry I forgot to go back and add Mr. Linky. Thank you so much Marian. I am such a derp.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

LOVED the prompt Rommy❤️ sharing my poem "Portrait of a Woman" .. I'm still carrying that vibe haha! Happy Thursday y'all❤️

Margaret said...

I DO love this prompt and it is NOT an easy one. I got off track ... and I really hope I can find the time to do it properly - Thank you for this challenge!

Marian said...

I thought you all might be interested in this... A poet friend from my local group here in MA just recently published her first book of poems (full disclosure, it came out via my ALL CAPS PUBLISHING). It's called What I Remember Most Is Everything by Sharon Tracey. The reason I'm sharing is that her book is a deep-dive into synesthesia! It's *very* interesting. You might take a peek "inside this book" on Amazon for some inspiration: https://www.amazon.com/What-I-Remember-Most-Everything/dp/0692836705/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

brudberg said...

I will come back with this... one of my favorite poetic tools...

Gillena Cox said...

Luv this prompt, luv the video. Hope you like my response written in the form called Cherita

much love...

Carrie Van Horn said...

Thank you Rommy for an awesome prompt. :-)

Magaly Guerrero said...

I had so much fun writing this one. Way too much fun, perhaps. *cackles and giggles*

Angie said...

Marian, your poet Sharon Tracey is amazing! Her poems are just wow

Susie Clevenger said...

I'm so terribly late and I know I didn't capture the form, but this is my effort.

Stacie Eirich said...

Wow! I really love this prompt -- creative, sensual (of course) and inventive! Excited to read what poets came up with in response. :-)