Saturday, November 10, 2018

Fussy Little Forms: Cherita

Good weekend, Toads! Let’s try a new (to me, anyway) form that is so beautiful, I hope we all can really enjoy experimenting with it: CHERITA 

Cherita was created by ai li, and you can read her lovely expression about the form here:
What’s Your Story? Cherita Knowhow
Cherita builds on haiku and tanka, and was inspired by the six-word story, which was inspired by Hemingway, so hey, there is a rich history here. You remember Hemingway’s:
For sale, baby shoes, never worn 
Cherita is a six-line poem in three stanzas. First stanza is one line, second stanza two lines, third stanza three lines. Line length is up to you. The idea is to write a short story in six lines. 

I tried it out and offer this simple tale for an example:
I should rake leaves 

but I decide 
to do something else 

when thinking about leaves 
and wind 
and justice 
photo and cherita poem above by Marian Kent

I wonder if we might try this and even include our handwritten/notebook versions as Kerry inspired us to share a couple weeks back! If you like, no obligation, but it might be a pretty form to share that way. Have fun!


14 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is lovely, Marian. Your example is so elegant, just the right mood for the season.

Susie Clevenger said...

I love the form. Mine is more seasonal light disorder :)

tonispencer said...

I had never written this form but found it lovely. Mine is a triple cherita.

Kim M. Russell said...

I agree with Kerry about the elegant form, Marian. A lovely prompt for a rainy Saturday!

Helen said...

Spectacular challenge, Maid Marian!

brudberg said...

I love this... and I do love story telling. I'll be back in a while

Marian said...

Hello, friends! I've been traveling in a bit of a whirlwind but am home and catching up. I have a cherita almost ready and will be posting it and reading your offerings tomorrow. Glad this one resonates! xoxo to all, M.

Anonymous said...

thanks for hosting and suggesting this form Marian - and I like your "example" one - it has just enough of a hint of dissonance and a slight weariness to it ...

rallentanda said...

Your cherita is great Marian. Love this form.

brudberg said...

I had to do a second... I really loved this form.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Hello Everyone- Adding my link today! Will pop by to read others shortly. I love this form!

Marian said...

Glad this form resonates! I was unfamiliar but am really loving all of your offerings. My second link is just the ode to leaves and justice shared in this post. I think I'll be writing more cheritas, though! :)

Margaret said...

Thank you! What a fun challenge.

KB said...

I love the beauty of this form