Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Kerry's Wednesday Challenge

Impressionism


It is Claude Monet who is considered to be the founder of French Impressionist painting. In 1874, the landscape entitled Impression, Soleil Levant, was exhibited, not only lending its name to the movement but inspiring a group of artists to explore new ways to express themselves in paint.


                                                                                           Impression, Soleil Levant ~ Monet


Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec was the enfant terrible of the Paris Art scene. Bohemian, decadent, he gathered a huge following and turned prostitutes into his models. His freedom of colour, form and line pushed Impressionism forward.


                                                                                       Can-Can Dancer ~ Toulouse-Lautrec


The tortured soul of Vincent van Gogh, a post-Impressionist painter, gave birth to some of the most vibrant canvases the world of Art has ever seen. His emotional honesty and rough beauty had a far-reaching influence on 20th Century Art.


                                                                Wheatfield with Crows ~ Van Gogh 


So the question I am asking today is: Can a poem be like an Impressionist painting?


My challenge is to step out of the framework of line and stanza, form and meter and slap words around your own canvases with bold brush strokes, or palette knives, or tiny points of colour. Work with word, phrases, fragments in an attempt to give an impression of a poem, then step back to view the end result.


If this seems too daunting, write a poem inspired by one of your favourite Impressionist paintings.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a fun and interesting challenge, I'll find a quiet space to give it a go later!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Kerry .. I love those pictures - and definitely a poem could be like an Impressionist painting .. a eye for words, the brain converting .. the poem writing and reading ..

But this little lady is not a poet!

Cheers just loved the photos .. thanks so much - stunning colours. Hilary

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I cheated a little. So far I havent an idea for trying to "paint" a poem - maybe later - but for now this prompt reminded me of a poem I wrote some time back, so I posted that.

Laurie Kolp said...

Quite a challenge, Kerry.

http://lkkolp.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/nature%e2%80%99s-colorful-vista/

Mystic_Mom said...

I took you up on your challenge Kerry, thanks for doing it. I hope you enjoy my take on it.

Kay L. Davies said...

I have an old poem I've always loved, and I posted it last month for Weekend Writers' Retreat. I've always thought it painted an impression, and it has gained a few admirers, although it's never been published outside my blog.
I'll post the link here and will be interested in reading others' impressions, as it were, of my Rock Poem.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Grace O'Malley said...

Your prompt reminded me of yesterday's haiku...<3

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

I am really annoyed with myself ... I have been through all of my poems (the other day) and had something I would post for this prompt ... if I could find it! In stead I shall simply enjoy the work of others. I shall not be around this weekend to read, post or participate.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Oh my ... Mystic Mom I cannot access your work? Therefore sadly, I cannot read it.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Well, I should not be so literal should I? For, a poem is so often ones impression. Therefore I shall link my poem NOT written in relation to impressionism ... something that I see with filmy, colors and wistful, misty vapors.

Philip Thrift said...

"impressions" -- a stab at it anyway.

Trellissimo said...

I believe paint, like poetry, deserves to be treated with a degree of order, restraint and respect...

Peter Goulding said...

Interesting experiment to do away with order and restraint and just go for it. Not sure I've succeeded but I enjoyed trying.

Jinksy said...

What a fascination Art Gallery this linky list has lead me to this morning. Thank you!

flaubert said...

Interesting challenge, Kerry. I will think about this and see what I can come up with.

Pamela