Friday, September 6, 2019

Art FLASH / 55

For this weekend's art collaboration, I am introducing an illustrator in mixed media, Cat Schappach, who is a marvel of dark surrealism. She has kindly given permission for us to use her piece entitled Seamstress.

Seamstress
@catschappach



If you repost the image on your blog, please give attribution to Cat, using the following link: https://www.instagram.com/catschappach/

Feel free to pay her a visit on Instagram, where more of her artworks are to be viewed, but not used for this prompt, or follow this link to her Etsy page.

If you post your poem on Instagram, using Cat's image, please tag @catschappach and mention her as the collaborating artist in your post.

Let the image speak to you and respond in a poetic form of your choosing: Literal! Figurative! Reflective! Narrative! Symbolic!

As an alternative, you may write a Flash Fiction 55 inspired by the art, or on a subject of your choice, in memory of Galen, who first imagined this challenge. Prose is acceptable but must be within the limit of 55 words!

From September, the weekend challenge will post early on Friday. I wish to remind all participants that this linky does not expire and the post remains open and at the top of the page until Monday. If you link early, please return to read other poems linked up after your own.


16 comments:

Kim M. Russell said...

I really enjoyed exploring Cat's illustrations and enjoyed writing my ekphrastic Flash 55. Thank you for introducing us to her, Kerry.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Cat has a most unique vision. I love her work and am very excited to read all the interpretations of this amazing piece.

Jim said...

This was a fun 55 for me this morning. Thank you, Kerry. Unfortunately I won't be showing this fine piece of art. Some of my family readers are young and though they might like a peek their moms would rather they not.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

Certainly, Jim. This challenge presupposes an adult audience.

brudberg said...

Oh this one I will write to... I just need to find the time during the weekend.

Björn

tonispencer said...

An interesting image. Quite arresting in its intensity. I am going to think about this image as I indulge in my rainy walk today. Thank you!

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh I love the art! Thanks so much Kerry!

said...

Ink magnolias are blooming; it’s an updo (milk-maid braid) kind of day.

robkistner said...

Wonderful prompt Kerry!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have enjoyed all the poems linked thus far immensely. It is a joy to be in the company of such inspiring poets, something I never take for granted.

Vivian Zems said...

Hi Kerry,
I accidentally added a link that had nothing to do with your prompt. Please feel free to delete it.
thanks

A great prompt, by the way :)

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Hi Kerry- Thank you for a great prompt. I've been down ill all week, hence my absence, but this one inspired me, although it's dark.

rallentanda said...

Very late but this art work inspired an unusually dark response from me. This must mean I am still human:)

rallentanda said...

Apologies Kerry...My submission 17 is incorrect. Monday is not the best day for me...much better on a Friday:)Thanks again for the prompt.

Margaret said...

So late to the game but thanks for the challenge

Ginny Brannan said...

It has been a long time since I was inspired to write from an image prompt, even longer since I shared here! I saw this image on my friend Margaret's page and was instantly inspired so thought I'd give it a shot! I promise to come 'round and read and comment on the other shares, and hope you are all okay with me joining you this week!